Centering steering? - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 02, 04:07 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
John

I'm putting on a new steering wheel-69 comfort grip- and I'm wanting to get the steering "centered" so the turn signal returns will be even. Now they are not. One side cancels w/1/10 of a turn and the other side at 1/2 turn, so driving is awkward. The question: Do I make the adjustment by removing the Pittman arm a notch or two? Or do I adjust the tie rods? Or is there some other way I'm not thinking of? I couldn't do it inside the steering wheel hub because the notched lock plate with the horn connector hole which cancels the turn signals only fits in one way.(I hope this makes sense to you)
Thanks for the help!
John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 02, 03:17 AM
Senior Tech

The easiest way to index the steering wheel is to remove it and rotate it a couple of splines on the steering shaft. Pitman arms are usually keyed and can be installed in only one position.
Your steering wheel should be level when you are going straight down the road, or a three bar wheel should be at 2,6 and 10.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 02, 07:01 AM
Team Member
John

DO NOT center the steering wheel by re-indexing it incorrectly on the steering shaft; it's designed with an index mark on the end of the steering shaft, and an open spline at 12 o'clock on the wheel hub to align with the mark. Everything from the wheel hub to the pitman arm is designed with centering provisions. The ONLY way to center the steering wheel correctly is to install it properly aligned on the shaft and make the required adjustments at the tie rod sleeves.

------------------
JohnZ
CRG
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 02, 06:26 AM
Senior Tech
Call me Funk

Send a message via AIM to CFunK
I am with John on this one. I went through this about 6 months ago and was told NOT to recenter the steering wheel on the column but to adjust the tire rods equally.

------------------
-Funk
My '67 RS
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 02, 06:07 PM
David Pozzi

I agree, but make sure the wheel is in the correct place now and hasn't been put on wrong, it sounds like it isn't correct now, or the turn signals would be operating correctly.

There is usually a scribe mark on the shaft and wheel to line them up.
The PS box has a flat that should be pointing upward when it is centered, the pitman arm should be pointing straight ahead.

The wheel might be straight but the part that triggers the turn signals may not be on correctly.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327 original owner. 69 Camaro Vintage Racer, 65 Lola T-70 Chev SB Can-Am Vintage Racer
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 02, 07:26 PM
Senior Tech
Donnie

Send a message via MSN to 69DZ302
I'm having a similar problem where the wheel can only go on in one position with the canceling cam, except I'm wanting to take my comfort grip off and reinstall my factory standard wheel. I took my car to the alignment shop to adjust the tie rods to straighten the steering wheel but they told me that there weren't enough threads on the tie rod to adjust the steering wheel in the direction it needed to go.

------------------
1969 Z28, Fathom Green, DZ302, M20, 3:73, deluxe black and white houndstooth interior, PS, TW, AM/FM factory radio, console with gauges, comfort grip steering wheel.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 02, 03:36 AM

You definately have to center it with the tie-rod sleeves or you'll be able to steer more in one direction than the other. There is a company called VBP or Vette Brakes & Products which make adjustable Tie-rod sleeves which use jam-nuts. It should fix the problem of not getting enough out of the stock tie-rod sleeves. I believe their number is 1-800-237-9991.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 02, 07:14 PM
Senior Tech
Donnie

Send a message via MSN to 69DZ302
BMADD68, Thanks for the info and number to call. I'll give them a call and see if they have what I need for my car. Thanks, Donnie.

------------------
1969 Z28, Fathom Green, DZ302, M20, 3:73, deluxe black and white houndstooth interior, PS, TW, AM/FM factory radio, console with gauges, comfort grip steering wheel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode