fuel gauge reads over full... - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 00, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thumbs down

when i first got my car, i got a mo-kan-ick to look it over. the gas gauge didn't work. he told me the sending unit was ok and the gauge was bad. i ordered one from classic ind. and low and behold after 10 months the thing shows up at my door today. (with no notice from classic, so if you ever have anything on backorder and turns out you don't want it be sure and cancel).

anyway, i took the console apart (69) and see that the gauge is not hooked up, so i hook up the old gauge and it goes to way past full. the gauge has the plug on clip with the 2 pinkish wires on one side and the green wire on the other. it also has a blue wire and 2 brown on a screw terminal. is it wiring problem, bad ground or sending unit? is the gauge probably ok? i haven't tried the new one yet, plan to return it if i can find out for sure that's not the problem before i install it.

i checked the archives and i tried:
1. unplug the lead in the trunk in the center of your harness, this should allow your needle to return to E, if not your wires are not in order.
2. an open circuit (ie - unplugging the harness in the trunk)...will act like FULL resistance and will send the needle to the far right (over Full).
If you unplug the connector and jump the sending wire (from the gauge)to ground...(No resistance) it should go to E.
3. Use a jump wire to test have some one watch the gauge as you jump the tank to a clean ground. i also tried grounded at the sending unit.

every time it stayed on full.
this site http://www.corecomm.net/~faldrich/fuelgage.htm says: Locate the fuel sender feed wire near the fuel tank. You're looking for a single tan colored wire. With the tan wire disconnected at the fuel tank, the fuel gauge should read past full with the ignition on. Wait a few moments as some fuel gauges take a long time to respond. Touch the tan wire from the body to any convenient ground and the gauge should read empty. If not, you have a wiring problem or a bad gauge.

so what's up??
i also had to sort of readjust my oil pressure gauge due to bumping it around to get at the fuel gauge (when am i going to learn if i want something done right - get someone else to do it, i'm pretty good at car stereo and new installation, but running down these old elec. problems seem to give me trouble). is there an easy way to do this or just trail and error? i had to adjust the spring and the thing holding the needle in case you have no clue what i am talking about.

it's nice having a way full tank all the time with the gas prices the way they are, but i'd like to get it fixed. help!!!

------------------
To see a pic of my car, click here... pages.prodigy.net/mtbmtb/rf396ss.jpg

[This message has been edited by mike brown (edited 08-07-2000).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 00, 05:41 PM
Tech Team

I dont know if this will help you but my gauge goes about 1/2" past full and always has since i've had the car. I don't know if it's just a design flaw or what, but thats how mine is too.

------------------
67 Camaro
383-SRP Pistons, Manley Rods, Cola Crank, Edelbrock Performer RPM package, Speed Demon 750 dp, MSD Ignition, TH350 Trans stock gears and convertor
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 00, 06:09 PM

Me too! My guage goes 1/4 tank past full and is empty at 1/4 past empty. (I learned that the hard way, doh!) Not that any of this helps you, but at least you know you're not alone!

------------------
My RS Conv. 1
My RS Conv. 2

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 00, 12:36 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Lightbulb

i would guess the tank is about 1/4 to 1/2 full. it's not a problem with the guage reading off some, it seems more that it's an open circuit which makes it read all the way past full until it hits the side of the gauge. i don't think it would ever move no matter how much gas was in the car.

[This message has been edited by mike brown (edited 08-08-2000).]
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 00, 12:08 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Garage
I hope I can help you guys out....

Mike...it sounds like your guage may be incorrectly wired or that you may have a broken wire from the gauge to the trunk.

Dan, it may be that you have a dirty ground in your system. Good enough to work, but that extra resistance is making your gauge read 1/4 too high.

I had to troubleshoot my entire gas gauge set up when I got my car....so I hope I can help ya out...

------------------
Steve McCorry - Central Ohio Camaro Club
'69 Camaro RS/SS-350 - Daytona Yellow
'95 Camaro Z-28 - Sebring Silver
click here to see my car ---> www.mindspring.com/~mccorry(updated 7/1/00)
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 00, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Question

can anybody tell me how it's suppose to be wired? it's a 69 console gauge and right now it has the "v" shaped clip where 2 pinkish wires go to the drivers side post (when gauge is facing as would when installed) and the green wire goes to the passenger side clip.
the "v" is right side up - like this: \/
(v shape is close together on the bottom), in my assem. manual it looked like the "v" should be upside down, with the closer part of the clip at the top - like this: /\.
could these be hooked up upside where the clip would be switched? would this make the gauge read way full?
it also has 2 brown wires and a blue wire that look like they could be grounds on the middle bottom lug. thanks, mike
p.s. on suggesting on testing anything to see if it will work, i may try to install the new gauge just to verify if the one i have is good.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 02, 06:34 PM

The brown wire is the feed from the gas tank sending unit. It should be connected to one of the posts. The other post should have the pink wires connected. Make sure that someone hasn't made repairs to the original wiring harness and changed some color on you. The brown and pink solution should fix you right up.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 02, 02:42 AM
Senior Tech
Jack

Mike, I also had the same problem with my dash located gas gauge reading over full. The male connector on the rear of the gauge that the wire from the sending unit plugged into was corroded causing an open circuit. I cleaned the connectors with sand paper, now my gauge works correctly.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 02, 03:23 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Mike, #1 is not correct in your statement.

The gauge will go to full as a default if disconnected.

The sending unit connects to the main body harness in the trunk, right by the filler tube. Disconnect it, and jumper the front part of the wiring harness connector to ground (not the tank side). If the guage falls to empty, the sending unit is bad, or disconnected on top of the tank. Or the ground connection to the front of the gas tank strap hangar is bad.

If the gauge does not move when you do that, you have a problem in the front part of the system.

-Mark.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 02, 07:04 AM
Senior Tech

i'm pretty sure the problem either got solved, or the guy learned to live with it by now.. the original post was almost 2 years ago...

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16X8" IROC wheels. 12" Corvette brakes on the way.
see pics here http://community.webshots.com/user/novaderrik
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 02, 08:29 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

-Mark.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode