Any ideas on what this problem could be? - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 04, 01:05 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy

Drove to work today and everything pretty normal. 21 mile drive. About 1 mile before stopping car starts to run pretty rough. Starts sound like thsp, thsp thsp thsp thsp. Like an ole POS. Also, idle seemed to really be bogging down(acting like it wants to die)Didnt but that is how it was acting.Here is some a recent history. About a week ago I changed oil pan gasket. Lowered motor and every since I have what sounded like an exhaust leak. Havent had time to take a good look at it yet. Seemed to run fine. Also, I felt like my idle was a little high so I adjusted it down a shade. Dont have a tach so I dont have real numbers to go by. Also, I dropped the timing just a bit as well. (car would have a shake at 55 and I thought it might be a little to advanced) Not sure that was the right thing to do after I changed timing so I may try to set it back. Just filled up with gas day before. I am hoping just a tank of bad gas but, Can anyone give me something else to consider. I will probably play with the timing and the idle on the carb for starters but any help beyond that would be great.

One more ???? I was reading a lot of posts about setting timing at 3000 RPM to 36* but dont have a tach. My dwell meter only runs to 1200 Rpm. Any ideas or tricks to get the total timing set? I dont know specs on cam so timing has been a huge guessing game.

Carb is the standard Qjet. #350 bored 30 over 4 bolt main. Not a stock cam although I dont know what the specs are on the cam since the original owner didnt give them.
Today I checked dwell and it sat at 30. Rpms were low and timing was down to around 8. 1.5 weeks ago the timing was running at 18 and I dropped to 14. I didnt think it helped my 55mph shake so I was going to move it back up. Also, tonight I changed plugs and some were pretty ugly. #7 pretty dark with oily residue. I dont like the looks of that even though I dont know what that means. After new plugs and timing change it is running better but not right. Still feels like there is a miss. Sounds kind of like the old ford running down the road and that sucks. Also, it doesnt seem to have the power that it had. Could a bad tank of gas lead to this. Maybe my next simple move will be to change fuel filter. MAybe some berryman in the fuel. After that I am going to be in the dark so if anyone has any ideas please please let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 04, 01:37 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs down

Well, looks like something REALLY bad has happened. Not sure what yet but on my way to work today I get this loud clicking sound(like you would hear if you put a playing card attached to your old bike, remember that sound) then a clunk and then motor shut down. Sounding really bad for me. Any ideas what that could be. So far I left it where it is until I can get a chance to look at it in the lihgt.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 04, 03:14 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Cool

Have Father McBride come and bless the car.....

Maybe broke a valve. Got wedged between the cylinder head and piston head. Froze the engine in clockwise rotation.

If one can rotate crankshaft backwards, CCW, alittle, say 1/2-1 revolution, then try to spin engine with its starter and it locks up at the same place, then one can safely assume engine is broke big time.

Remove valve covers to see if any rocker arms out of their normal position.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 04, 05:25 AM Thread Starter

Ok checked it out. Didnt see oil on gound but pulled the dipstick and the oil very milky looking. Opened the radiator and it looked half full. What could it be, cracked block, head gasket.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 04, 05:56 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Unhappy

If it stopped spinning on its own and locked up, you'll need another engine. Otherwise, pump shop air into each cylinder with both valves closed and check both the radiator coolant level for bubbles and the oil fill cap for escaping air.

If you feel some air movement or see bubbles, you might be lucky in only needing head gaskets providing the block and heads look good and the engine did not overheat when driving.

The ignition timing was alittle advanced too much. The most I've seen for initial timing has been 16* BTDC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode