battery issue - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 11, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Rich

Red face battery issue

once again i turn to my fellow camaro owners,

i am having a problem with my battery not being able to turn over my car.
i have an optima red top in my camaro with 10 to 1 compression.
the problem i have is that after two weeks of not starting my car i went out yesterday and it started right up then i drove my car for about 45 minutes and the voltage guage says its charging right at 14 volts then last night the wife wanted to go for a ride so i went into the garage and car would not start so i hooked up my battery charger to it and it immediately started up no problem, so my question is.
Is the battery not strong enough or could it be not a strong enough starter to spin the motor.

any help would be great
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 11, 12:46 PM
Senior Tech
Bobby

Re: battery issue

Rich,

Could you go into detail about what goes on during the non start. For example do you get a click when you turn the key or, is it slow cranking or, a good crank then stops (timing too far advanced) or, nothing at all when the key is turned

If the Red Top is in good shape, it is plenty strong enough. Try a load test on the battery to be sure.

67 Camaro 350
M20 4spd console,
8.5, 30 spline Eaton posi 373
Cowl Plenum
Custom 180 Headers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

black/black
no radio
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 11, 01:05 PM
Senior Tech
Sean

I have gone thru three red tops this year alone....although partial to a faulty voltage regulator...haha.....but still two of the red tops did go bad and were replaced at little or no charge....take it to the store it was purchased from and have em test it....if bad it should be replaced at little or no cost depending on how long you have had it.....but....if it tests good then start the trouble shooting......or if you have a volt meter check to see where voltage is before, during and after start up (if it starts)....and submit more info

1969 - 383, 4sp.,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 11, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Rich

when i go to start car fuel pump and electric fans turn on in ignition then when you turn key to start position everything stays on but starter does not turn as if starter was disconnected but the minute i add any extra power (jump start, hook up charger or booster box) car starts right up.
also battery has 12volts when tested but drops down to 10.5-11 when trying to start. have not load tested battery yet will do that today, also forgot to mention that i am running a gm 1 wire alternator if that matters.

Thanks again for the help
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 11, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

AGM batteries take longer to recharge than a lead acid battery after sitting for some time.
If recharging an AGM from sitting, you have parallel charge a standard battery along with an AGM to get the AGM to recharge. You have to use an AGM everyday to make it work. Swap batteries with your daily driver and compare results.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 11, 02:42 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Do not mix battery types between the 2 charging systems...they have different charging rates/voltages and early baterry failure occurs...1 batery gets over charged the other under charged.
This is becoming a common occurance down the work shop with people simply buying a battery off the shelf.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 11, 02:56 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

I assume all the grounds are good ?

I had an issue with mine just cutting off...would crank great...just no fire...found the battery ground loose at block

Could be a similar issue

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 11, 03:46 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post
AGM batteries take longer to recharge than a lead acid battery after sitting for some time.
If recharging an AGM from sitting, you have parallel charge a standard battery along with an AGM to get the AGM to recharge. You have to use an AGM everyday to make it work. Swap batteries with your daily driver and compare results.
the only time I've ever needed to put a battery in parrallel is if the AGM is way down- like 5 volts or below. Anything with 10 volts or more they have always taken a charge fine through normal methods. If the charger is showing an AGM is taking a charge, there's no reason to fool it with the parrallel battery method, and if you do need to it doesn't matter what type of battery you use, just something to get it charging, then take it off the parrallel battery in a couple hours.

That said, unless you left something on and drained it - I would be looking at the battery terminal connections first from what you have described, then the ground and the starter postive post to make sure it's all good with no problems. Really need more details on what it does when you try to start it and the battery voltage to help though.

69 Pace Car and 69 Hard top
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 11, 04:42 PM
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage

Check your voltage regulator also to make sure you are charging correctly.

1969 X66 396 LeMans Blue, M20, 373 (Sold)
1969 Convertible LS3 TKO 600, 373
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 11, 08:51 AM
Senior Tech

My red top Optima gave me the first trouble I've ever had with it in 5 years. I live in Austin; I see you're in SA. I believe my problem was short trips to / from work combined with endless summer heat. I had another red top sitting in the garage and swapped it out. The sick one charged just fine, but I have yet to see if it recovered well enough to use. Perhaps that will be on my list of things to do today.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 11, 09:06 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

I'm a non AGM fan. Lead-acid is what this charging system was designed around and IMHO its asking for trouble to go with a slower charging rate AGM.

You have also put an additional draw with the cooling fans - Why are they not on a thermostatic relay and only on when cooling is needed?

I would also clean all contacts and grounds as it does sound like not enough voltage is hitting the starter to kick it in.

When you converted to one wire - internal or external VR?

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 11, 01:57 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
I'm a non AGM fan. Lead-acid is what this charging system was designed around and IMHO its asking for trouble to go with a slower charging rate AGM.
Like I said above the 2 types of batteries have different charging levels...not time but voltage...If u have a lead acid system stick with lead acid batytery and visa versa...
THE 2 ARE NOT INTERCHANGEABLE
One undercharges and the other over charges both result in stuff batteries

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 11, 07:24 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

AGM batteries are lead and acid - they just have the acid tied up in an AGM mat between the lead plates instead of in a liquid state. The only real difference between many AGM batteries and a wet cell battery besides the suspended acid in the mat is a generally higher purity of lead plate. Optimas are a spiral cell AGM battery with the lead plate wound into a coil with the acidic mat in between the layers and with these you do have to be careful to not add too much voltage or it will burn the material and ruin it because the distance between the plates in the spiral is closer. Any system with a good regulator will not damage an Optima. Regular flat plate AGM batteries are not prone to damage from higher voltage more so than a wet cell battery. AGMs actually charge much more quickly than a wet cell battery because they have less internal resistance, and they are also capable of a higher rate of discharge (deliver more power) at lower states of charge than a wet cell. On my trolling batteries which are AGMs, I can run them all day hard in a high wind and they do not fade a bit. They also charge up in about half the time a wet cell does. Wet cells and half way through the day I will start losing power. On a Gen 1 Camaro with a properly working charging system there's absolutely no reason to avoid using an AGM battery and plenty of reason's too use them.

69 Pace Car and 69 Hard top
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 11, 08:08 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Send a message via AIM to cuz13

I also went thru 2 red tops and finally got a auto zone gold series. That died on me too due to a bad cell, but in tracing out the problem came to be a bad horn relay that was shorting out. Still running that auto gold series with no problems its been 8 months
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 11, 01:27 AM
Senior Tech
Dale

Have the battery tested.
Can you hear the starter solenoid click when cranked?

68 Dana 302, 68 rs 327 daily driver/family car, 71 rs, track car/ driver, 68 firebird 400, 70 formula 400, 73 type LT, 98 TA, 2 goofy kids and an incredible wife.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode