TH350 reverse to park problem - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 00, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Hello,
This weekend my th350 started to act up. I am now having a problem getting the transmission into park. It is a 1968 Camaro that orginally had a powerglide in it. I swapped the th350 in about a year ago with now problems. I checked to make sure the linkage is all connected still, it is. It is a floor shifted car, so I took the lens plate of the shifter and it all looks normal. The car shifts fine when it is in drive. I can also manually shift the car through the gears. The problem is going from reverse to park, it just does not want to engage now, most of the time. Whats the deal?
Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 00, 07:33 PM

The turbo 350 has a parking pawl that locks into the front drum when in park. This may be the problem, it may be broke or out of adjustment. If the trans pan is off you can see a metal rod that runs over to a silver hook that looks like a finger. If this is broke or not working the car will not hold in park. You can see slots on the drum where the parking pawl should engage.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 00, 05:03 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

Also check the shifter. I believe it is similar to the second generation Camaro and has an adjustable stud where the upper end of the cable hooks to the shifter. It may need adjusting or have come loose as has happened to me. The first thing I noticed was that it didn't want to go all the way into park due to slop in the cable. After tightening everything was fine. It uses a nut on the back side of the stud to hold it in place.

Jody

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 00, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks for the reply.
I did not see an adjustment nut near the shifter. I don't remember hooking anything to my brakes either. I will pull the pan this weekend and see how things look. Anything else to look at?
Rick
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 00, 04:37 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

The stud/nut is actually ON the shifter; it is the stud that the upper cable end attaches to. If you remove the shifter plate and/or console so you can see the cable attachment at the shifter, move the shifter from Park to Drive and see if there is any excess movement. It will be obvious if this is the problem; you'll be able to move the shifter 1/2" or more before the cable moves. If both ends of the cable check out then you'll have to pull the pan. I was just hoping it was the easier fix like what happened to me.

It's also possible that the cable has stretched and can't quite move the shifter arm far enough to completely engage "Park". Sometimes an adjustment down below will cure it but often you need to replace the cable. Dis-connect the lower end of the cable and manually put the trans in "Park". Then gently rock the car back and forth to see if it holds. It should tell you if the parking pawl is okay and the shifter lever is misadjusted or one of the above.
Jody

[This message has been edited by Camcojb (edited 07-19-2000).]
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 00, 01:44 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Rick,

This post is a different trans( https://www.camaros.net/forum/Forum9/HTML/000821.html ) but sounds like your problem if it is the cable... Let us know what you find!

------------------
...Dennis
Topless'69
Camaros Limited Nor-Cal
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by DjD (edited 07-20-2000).]
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 00, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Hello,
I think your right about the cable, I will dig into it again this weekend. I will post the findings. Thanks for the information.
Rick
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 00, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Talking

You were right Jody! It was just the nut that was loose on the shifter. It took a close look at the assembly and discovered the loose nut and cable. I tightened the nut and made a simple adjustment and am ready to race again. Thank you for the help. I owe you one.
Rick
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 00, 11:55 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

Glad to help!!! Have fun.

Jody
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode