sparkplug acessibility - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 03, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

If you own a 69 bigblock car with air,can you please give me some advice on how to get to the #8 plug. This has been a wrench throwing experience, any help would be greatly appreciated.Im doing good to just touch the plug much less get the thing in and out. And did I mention that I got this in initially with the front cap off!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 03, 10:54 AM

Depending on your exhaust(headers vs. manifolds), you can do it from underneath or you can place the spark plug socket on the plug and then use a box end wrench to turn the socket. That method allows you fit in a little tighter space. SLP back yard engineered a nifty little device for the LT1's in the 4th Generation F-Bodies. They took a spark plug socket, shortened it and drilled out the socket hole so you could really fit into tight spaces I bought one from them when I was rebuilding the 93Z. It works great. If you have the machine tools or know someone at a machine shop, you could probably make one yourself. Good luck with that plug.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 03, 05:31 PM
Senior Tech

Ramps are cheap ($20's) and easy to drive up on.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 03, 10:10 PM
Tech Team

Have a 68 BB w/air. I took about a 1/2 inch by 1.5 inch bolt, and ground down the end of the bolt(make it square) to fit into a 3/8 drive spark plug socket. Put the socket on the plug, then put the special bolt into the socket, then put an open end wrench onto the special bolt, remove the plug. I could not reach the spark plug socket with out the bolt, exhaust manifold in the way, socket too short. Do this all from under the car. Bolt extends the reach into the spark plug area. The real treat is removing and reinstalling the spark plug boot. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode