leaning - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 99, 07:44 AM Thread Starter

My 69 coupe is leaning to one side. The right front of the car sits about an inch and a half higher than it should? All the springs appear to be O.K.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 99, 10:01 PM
Tech Team

i assume that all of your body panels, hood etc are still in line and your tires/wheels are still the same. when you measured the height difference you measured from the from the frame rails directly behind the core support and inside of the lower control/A-arms and found a height difference? There are potentially 3 possibilities off the top of my head (1) springs are fatigued on one side or bent (2) a coil or shock has broken or a mount has broken (3) the spring on the R-side has come out of the upper/lower perch. on its mounting seat. there arent too many other options...
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 99, 04:42 AM

I recently purchased a 69 and had the same problem. We checked to see if the springs sat in the perch correctly. (they did) We then pulled the springs and one was fatigued, even though they "looked" fine. After replacing the front springs, the rear looked low, so I ended replacing the rear leaf springs. Now it looks "sweet".

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 00, 11:22 AM

if the car has ever been "curb-checked" it may have a bent sway bar. this could cause the difference in height from one side to the other. to check your sway bar you can simply remove it from the car and set it on a flat surface (garage floor) if it is bent it should be obvious. good luck.
josh
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 00, 04:28 AM

I had a very similar problem on my 69, it was a pain in the @$$ to find. My front right corner was sitting about 3/4 higher than the left. I noticed it after I did a complete front suspension rebuild including springs. I could see the difference in the fender gaps. When I took it for alignment I had them check the frame and suspension. Everything was right where it was supposed to be. No crooked springs or bent frames. So after another week of poking at the car, checking body panels etc, it became apparent where the problem was. My left rear spring was weak and caused that corner to dip a ever so slightly, thus bringing up the front right. Solution: New rear leafs. I already had them, but hadn't installed them yet. Just something to check.

------------------
Shawn Peterson
1969 Z28, 406SB
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 00, 08:17 PM

I am having the same problem with my 67. I have rebuilt the front suspension and replaced the coils and rear springs. The car still is lower on the driver side. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode