smoking carb - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 02, 04:14 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

On a hot day when I first crank up my BBC after a week or so of sitting it runs kinda rough but I feather it for 20-30 secs and all is good.
Sometimes it runs Really bad, bad enough I shut it down and look for something I goofed up or a broken part. Well yesterday I had the air cleaner off when I fired it up after about a week of sitting and it was acting really bad. I turned it off and the carb was smoking, not fire smoke, but I guess gas or water vapors.
The front and rear bowl had condensation on the outside and the bowls felt cold. This car is garage kept and has a BG sports claw carb (no choke).
Is the gas just getting cool at night and maintaining this temp during the day and causing this?
Would cool gas make a BG act funny ? I though cooler gas was good.
After sitting a sec I can fire it back up feather it a bit and it runs normal (sitting time=carb,gas warming? )

I was just wondering if anyone else has this kind of problem.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 02, 07:13 AM
Senior Tech
Mike

I'm sure your car has been tuned or dialed in with the motor and everything else at "operating temp". Until it gets to temp, it will probably run a little rich until it reaches the temp and conditions for which the adjustments were made at the time. Just a thought, was the car maybe tuned in the winter when the air and conditions would be much different than they are now in hot and muggy TENN? All that humidity means less actual oxygen in the air charge.

------------------
Black 69 camaro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode