Vibrations continue - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 03, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

Help!!
Recently I put in a new 383 stroker motor and Tremec 5 spd from Forte's in my '69 Camaro. I always had vibration with the old 350 and Muncie. After looking thru all the forums here, I decided I was going to spend enough money to stop it! Well.....After many thousands of dollars and lots of sweat, I still have a rather nasty vibration from around 3500 to 4500 rpm in any gear. Out of gear there is no vibration, as I rev up the motor. I had the pressure plate balanced, put on a different Chevy bellhousing, new rubber motor & tranmission mounts, the motor was balanced with the flywheel, had a new driveshaft built.
What in the world did I miss???? The car is fast, but if I can't fix this, I will be putting a FOR SALE sign on it soon!

Gary

Gary M.<br />'69 Camaro<br />Red Pro-touring<br />383 ci 440 hp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 03, 01:53 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Bent wheel? Bent axle or axle tube? bent spindle?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 03, 06:16 PM
Senior Tech

Search using drive shafts. The old drive shafts didn't have ends that were aligned up the same for yokes to attach since a perfectly balance drive shaft is said to set a perfect spot for vibrations to cause a harmonic vibration on the drive shaft. Needless to say it could be many things besides the drive shaft. Maybe a flaking out HEI ignition. Maybe motor and trans mounts. How heavy duty are the accessory brackets. They might promote vibrations if a pully is bent or loose or not. Maybe try having somebody watch the engine from a truck with the hood off. Can't let a car beat you. Hope it isn't engine internals. Somebody once said their clutch brand new was out of balance. I gotta pump the clutch some times on mine to get mine to cut vibrations out.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 03, 03:28 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys for the input. The vibration goes away if at speed, the clutch is disengenged and let off the throttle, so I don't think it is not anything in the chassis. The motor is smooth if rev'ing at rest in the driveway. But in any gear, going down the road, the vibration is present about 3500 - 4500 rpm.

I'm thinking it could be a misaligned transmission/bellhousing. Several Chevy guys said they had never seen a stock housing cause a problem, so I did not check it before installation, and it did not seemed to be damaged.

Can the offset dowel pins from Lakewood be used on a stock bellhousing?

Is it possible I could have a timing or lean misfire condition only when the motor is under load?

Gary

Gary M.<br />'69 Camaro<br />Red Pro-touring<br />383 ci 440 hp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode