vibration - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 99, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

I have two questions...
1)I have a fairly new 350 eng. and tranny that was recently put in a GMC Van that I am planning on transplanting into a Camaro. Are there any large potential problems?
2)There is a vibration when I reach about 3000 rpms (both stationary and when moving). I know that some of the parts on this engine came off of a 305 such as the pulleys, alternator, and a few other pieces. Anyone know what the problem is? My alternator is charging a little high also... Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 99, 05:29 PM
Senior Tech

Could be a combination of the flywheel is out of balance or the dampner is either the wrong diameter or out of balance. Could also be that the torque converter is out of balance.

If I remember correctly, you could not use a flwheel and dampner from a 305 to a 350. The same would also apply to the 400 flywheel and dampner to a 350.
Since the crank, rods and pistons are all lighter than a 350 it could be your problem.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 99, 05:39 PM
Senior Tech

What year is the engine, and what year is the van??
The balancers and flexplates are the same from 305 to 350. UNLESS the engine is the 86-up one piece rear main seal engine, then the flexplates are different from the older two piece rear main engines. The 400 has always taken it's own balancer and flywheel.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 99, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input!
The engine is a remanufactured engine bought from a company, so I don't know what year the engine was originally.
The van is an 84.
Is this a viable option to transplant into an
older Camaro? I don't know that much about engine swaps...
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 99, 04:12 AM
Senior Tech
Steve

Garage
The 350 should drop right in with the correct engine mounts. No problems...
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 99, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

okay, here's the lowdown....
the engine is a reman. 1991 350 and the tranny is a 350. the guy that installed it did indeed use a 305 flywheel, so I'm guessing that is my problem...
thanks for all the help everyone...
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 99, 10:38 AM
Tech Team

Angry

I'm having the exact same problem in my 74 Camaro. Following my engine builders advice so far I've run the engine with a different balancer(no difference) and run it with the torque converter disconnected(no difference). So the nexy step will be the flex plate.Mine has alot of runnout in it and there should not be more than around .007" runout on the plate. Check all these and if you find your solution let me know what it was.

------------------
74 Camaro
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 99, 04:34 AM
Senior Tech
Steve

Garage
BTW...how much vibration are we talking about? Feel it in the seat or does it rattle your teeth?

------------------
Steve McCorry
'69 Camaro RS/SS-350 - Daytona Yellow
'95 Camaro Z-28 - Sebring Silver
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 99, 06:06 PM
David Pozzi

Lightbulb

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jashoeuh:
okay, here's the lowdown....
the engine is a reman. 1991 350 and the tranny is a 350. the guy that installed it did indeed use a 305 flywheel, so I'm guessing that is my problem...
thanks for all the help everyone...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You may need an 86 up flexplate for a 350. Also check if the vibration dampener is correct for a 350. I think all the small blocks with the one piece rear seal are externally balanced, but I'm not shure if it's the flywheel only, or the flywheel and balancer.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 99, 03:36 PM
Bill

Jash,
If the motor is definitely a 1991, it should be a one piece rear main seal motor. If so, it needs a particular flywheel (flexplate if you wish) If he used the flywheel off your 1984 305, that is definately the problem, even though I thought GM changed the bolt patterns on the one piece flywheels. I could check for sure if you want in the morning. If he used a flywheel off a later model, one piece seal, 305...it should work. It is the same as the late model 350's.
Hope this helps, if you have any other questions you are welcome to e-mail me directly.

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 99, 05:03 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Garage
Question

This may be a stupid question...but what is the easiest way to determine what flywheel is in your car? I have often wondered about the flywheel on my 350 since I cant seem to find a cover to fit over it....

------------------
Steve McCorry
'69 Camaro RS/SS-350 - Daytona Yellow
'95 Camaro Z-28 - Sebring Silver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode