WHAT DO i DO ABOUT THIS Q-JET SOLENOID? - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 01, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
85Z

Question

Alright, I have a 1985 Z28 camaro, I know that on these Q-jets there is a M/C solienoid, well when I went and bought a new carb for it which was a edelbrock 600 cfm, performer series, the paper inside the box tells me that I can not use the performer series carb cause of this M/C solinoid! I don't understand could someone please help and tell me What i can do or what carb i can buy to replace it? Thanks feel free to email [email protected], thanks again Matt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 01, 06:40 PM
Senior Tech

Your 85 should be a feedback type Q jet thats partly controlled by a computor,which also controls ignition timing.I believe the eldebrock carb will work,but you will need to install an hei or aftermarket distributor with mechanical and vac,advance.you old dist is computer control.I put an old style hei in my 85 Monte SS years ago ,even with the stock carb its a lot smoother and runs better. Hope this helps.

------------------
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 01, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
85Z

ok i understand what your saying but could you tell me a little bit more about what you are talking about I don't konow what a hei distribitor is or even where to look for one .. ok thanks if you can help.
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gene stills:
Your 85 should be a feedback type Q jet thats partly controlled by a computor,which also controls ignition timing.I believe the eldebrock carb will work,but you will need to install an hei or aftermarket distributor with mechanical and vac,advance.you old dist is computer control.I put an old style hei in my 85 Monte SS years ago ,even with the stock carb its a lot smoother and runs better. Hope this helps.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 01, 07:36 PM
Senior Tech

Pretty much all 75 and up to the mid 80s Chevy V8s used the HEI self contained dist.SElf contained means they have everything built into them,coil module etc.Early 80s started using computor versions of HEI.You should be able to pick one up at a salvage yard for around 50.00 or less.Parts stores have them OR jegs or summit racing etc.

------------------
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 01, 08:49 PM
Tech Team
Joe

Gene,
You mentioned you put an HEI distributor in your Monte SS WITH a stock feedback carb? You liked how it worked also? I ask, cuz I've been having some problems with my 87 firebird, and I think I would like to do that swap. any special conciderations I should expect? I was going to put an aftermarket carb on my car, but didn't want to setup everything to run the overdrive trans( tv cable, etc) I think the HEI would be a nice addition. I take it that the ignition is now not adjusted by the computer? does this seem to effect anything? does the check engine light come on? thanks for the info.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 01, 06:29 PM
Senior Tech

Joe the reason i tried it was my father crossed the battery post by accident,And then it wouldn't fire.So i tried the older dist and it worked.Check engine lamp was one before anyway,as most of the eariler computer cars was famous for usually right after warranty is up.removed bulb.lock up converter is controled by computor,really don,t know what you would run into there. I unhooked the wire to mine years ago when it started acting like a standard shift at stops,common problem(wouldn,tcome out of lock up) on early R4s

------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode