rpm drop at idle - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 01, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I have a 68 camaro with a mild 350 engine. It has an edelbrock 600 carb, Hei, etc.. Sometimes when I am idling the rpm drops and the engine sometimes almost cuts out. This happens inconsistantly. I haven't been able to nail down the problem. Maybe a misfire?? why would it be misfiring?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 01, 05:57 AM
Senior Tech

I'll take a stab. If the needle and seat have crud or junk in/around it, your carb could be flooding at low rpm...causing over rich mix and poor idle quality. If it runs good otherwise, this is where I'd look first. Do you have any leaking or fuel smells? Are warm starts difficult? If so, I'd suspect the needle and seat needs to be cleaned up. But I know nothing about the Edelbrock carb. Perhaps others have ideas. Good luck.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 01, 06:03 AM
Senior Tech

Oh yeah...sometimes this works. Warm the engine until the choke is completly opened. Close the choke and rev the engine a few times (with one hand on the choke and one on the throttle). Sometimes, this will suck the gunch out the needle and seat and she'll run fine afterwards. A cheap tip...sometimes works.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 01, 12:14 PM
Senior Tech

chevyboy68, Sleepy may be onto something with the carb trick... However something else that I've seen and I must ask first is how old is your HEI? I've seen ignition modules act up once in awhile like your describing and it's a pretty easy replacement. Anyways my 2 cents worth.

Good luck!

------------------
1967 Prostreet Camaro
402cid BBC TH 400 w/4,500 stall 4:56 gears,narrowed and tubbed... Well almost
http://www.visionworks-usa.com/camaro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode