no juice to starter - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 00, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

Question

I have a 68 camaro base cupe w/ a 355 sb. It will not start when I turn the key. There is a short or something beteween the starter and the ignition. The starter is new and good. I have traced a working purple wire from the ignition back to a plug at the end of the stearing collum. From their I'm lost. I have traced a not working yellow wire and a purple wire from the starter to a plug type thing on the fire wall.I do not konw what to do.Please help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 00, 08:11 PM
Senior Tech
Carl

Rob,

Sounds like you have a column shift car. The large purple wire actuates the solenoid. The small yellow goes to the + side of the coil and is only hot during engine cranking. This gives full voltage to the coil for starting. There should be a neutral safety switch on the top of the steering column. There should be 2 12ga purple wires going into it. One may have a stripe. One of the wires is connected to the ignition switch and is actuated when you turn the key to the start position. The power is then routed through the neutral safety switch to the other purple wire, through the firewall plug, and down to the solenoid. Your neutral safety switch may be at fault. Try moving the shifer lever while holding the key in the start position to see if you can get the motor to turn over. If you can the switch needs adjustment. If not the switch may need to be replaced. You can use a test light also to see if voltage is passing through the switch when the key is in the start position. Be carful when turning over the motor when the car is not in park or neutral because the car will take off if it starts when it's in drive. You may also want to try a remote starter switch to confirm that the solenoid and starter are in working order. The plug on the firewall is a multiple piece unit. There is a two-piece harness that connects on the engine side. One is for the front lighting and the other is for the engine and starter. To remove this plug you must take out the bolt that is in the center of the plug and remove both interlocking plugs. The firewall side is more complex. The best way to learn how this stuff works is to go to the self serve junkyards and tear into a car.

------------------
Click here to see see my car and hear 5-speeds. http://www.geocities.com/casanoc
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 00, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Thanks a million CarlC!! I had just re-mounted my tack on my stearing collum with the collum shifter turned(the shifter is now on the floor).I did what you suggested and it started right up.Thanks for your quick responce!! Rob68
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode