GAS LEAK!! - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 04, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

OK I know it sounds like a stupid question, but I filled my gas tank the other day and waited for the pump to click off. When I went back into the car and turned the key, the gauge needle read about a quarter of a tank PASSED the full mark. Thought at first that the gauge may be off.I drove the car home and put it in the garage. The next day I smelled gas big time in my garage. I didnt think much of it and took the car for another very short drive(all of five minutes) The next day, smelled gas again!! Looked under the gas tank and saw about two to three quarter sizes drips on the floor. They were black but when I ran my finger through it , it smelled like gas. I looked at the tank and saw that it had dripped down from the tank.When I took a quick scan of the drip mark it ran a straight line in the middle up to the bottom of the filler neck. When I felt the filler neck, it was dry.

So I guess my question is, could I have overfilled the tank and if so could it have sloushed out somewhere other than the filler neck? Could it be the seal on the tank? How about a hose coming off the tank? Never dealt with a gas tank before so I guess I am looking for the best way to deal with this? Any info would be helpful. I hope someone answers this one.

Thanks
Mark
TOOFUN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 04, 11:02 AM
Senior Tech
Zach

i've dropped my tank a few times, but i'm pretty sure the 67-68 tanks are different. the 69 filler neck is permanently attached and i think yours is a separate piece with a seal? i would check your gas cap too, that would be the easiest thing to replace if its the culprit, you never know. pop it off and check the rubber seal, see how it looks. only other possible leak short of a hole in the tank would be something with the sender or attached fuel lines on top of the tank. good luck [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

69 Camaro - LeMans blue w/ black vinyl top - 350/TH350
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 04, 04:26 PM
Senior Tech
Gary

It would be very difficult to over fill the tank. What can happen is the cap was not on flat or the the rubber gasket is allowing gas to get by until you drive enough use up gas. I would make sure the cap makes a good seal. Worse case- you may need a new tank. See if you do have a leak.

69 Camaro convertible 327, TH 350, fully restored, well almost.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 04, 02:04 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

THANKS!! Dropped the tank yesterday. Noticed the leak stopped right about where the top half and bottom half of the tank meet. The filler neck, and top of the tank are bone dry. I definatley have a leak but must be a pin hole size one. Scrapped away some of the undercoating and saw some small rust spots. Anyways. Anybody know what it would cost to get it fixed? Also, inspected the sending unit and it is definately not working right, so I am replacing it. Noticed only one line coming off the sending unit. I know alot of them have two lines one for the gas and one for vapor return. Someone told me it is because I have a convertible that I only have the one line. Is this true? Who makes the one line version? I have a 69 convertible small block. Also, the PADDOCK sells a kit with tank, vibration strips, o ring, lock ring, and tank straps for 179.00 plus shipping and tax. Would this be a cheaper way to go over fixing the tank? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

TANKS!!
MARK
TOOFUN [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 04, 04:40 PM
Senior Tech
Zach

i would definitely replace the tank, its so easy and they're not pricey. plus it looks good [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] you can test your old sending unit to see if its working correctly too, but the repros are cheap and good quality. i bought my sender from rick's for $49, really nice. you should have the same sender as me, 3/8" with no return line, part# FT-33 at rick's. the return line shouldn't have anything to do with it being a convertible, i think it was determined by the engine, can't remember which got return lines though.

don't forget about the sending unit ground wire when you drop the tank too. it runs from the sender up to a hole close to where the passenger side tank strap attaches(the strap end toward the front of the car). i didn't disconnect mine the first time i dropped the tank, snapped it right off.

here's the link for testing the sender
fuel gauge troubleshooting

and the link for rick's too. tanks and senders should be under fuel system.
Rick's

have fun [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]

69 Camaro - LeMans blue w/ black vinyl top - 350/TH350
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 04, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Decided to go with a new tank since I found a site that sells them for 119.00 complete with new o ring, locking nut and filler neck already attached. When I compared that to the price of fixing the existing tank especially for dip coating it, made more sense to get a new tank. As for the old tank, dumps wont take it unless it is cut in half!! Worried about that so I took the safest route I could think of. I filled the tank with water up to the filler neck while plugging the sending unit hole. Then while it was full of water, I used a saws all to cut it in half. Worked like a charm.

One guy told me that if you hook a hose up to a running cars exhaust and put the other end into the empty tank, the hydrocarbons from the exhaust will displace the fumes in the tank making it safe to cut in half. Didnt try it cause I figure you cant make a spark with a saws all under water. Anyways. thanks again.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 04, 10:27 PM

I just replaced my 69 gas tank due a gas leak very similar to yours. I filled up my tank and drove home and parked the car. A few minutes later, I had gas dripping from the top of my tank. After searching for a few minutes, my leak was coming from the sender unit hole on the top of the tank. I guess the seal was dry and cracked. Very scary, since I have a chambered exhaust with 2 hot mufflers really near the rear end and the gas drips. The gas expansion in the tank was the probable cause of the gas leak. It was a very hot day. I have since bought a new tank (old 1 had a few dents) and changed the sender unit and seals. No problems to date. Knock on wood!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old May 1st, 04, 10:59 AM
Senior Tech

Something else to watch for on 69's is the neck will leak where it enters the Tank, I replaced mine because of that problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode