fuel pump - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 04, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

i have an 86 iroc body and droped an older 350 now a 383 engine in it everything went well till i notice there is a fuel pump in the rear(tank) but mine ia a mechanical pump up front..question is: what should i do here? taking the tank out on this car nightmare...the exsisting pump is not connecting as per i didnt need all the wiring harness. looking for any ideas here thanks all!

i am the bad things that happen to good people!<br />86 iroc 383 stroked and charged...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 04, 04:40 PM
Senior Tech
Brandon

Garage
if you can get to the wire for the intank pump and it works use it. Take the mechanical pump off and block off the port. Save some engine wear and get some ponies back.

Brandon J. licence 1NASTY67

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 04, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

ok also there a return line what should i do with it plug it? and the wire should i put it on a toggle switch and use a pressure regulator?

i am the bad things that happen to good people!<br />86 iroc 383 stroked and charged...

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 04, 06:00 PM
Senior Tech

First off, I would also post this message on;

www.thirdgen.org

But, in the meantime, what was the original setup in your 86? I am ASSUMING it was a TBI... but it could have been a TPI setup, I guess. If it is the latter, you would be running about 42 PSI pressure in your feed line, and the return line was of course REQUIRED. If you are running a carbureted version now, then you only need 5-7 PSI pressure to a CARB... and no return line. Disable/remove, or BYPASS your in tank pump. Connect your current, installed feed line to the carb, and remove/plug/whatever, your return line.
The "beauty" of a carb setup in my mind, is the simplicity/low pressure of it. I have an 87 IROC with the TPI setup... it is great, but much more complicated. A fuel relay on the drivers side comes on with the ignition "on", for aprox. 1.5 seconds, I installed a fuel pressure regulator to "adjust" pressure for conditions, and the injectors require periodic maintenance/replacement, and will often need TOTAL replacement with upgrades in engine... such as yours, a 383.

67 Camaro | 350 | 650 Speed Demon | Dual plane GMPP intake | MSD ignition | Secret Cam (I don't know what it IS!) | 2.02/1.60 Camel Humps ported | Thorley Tri-Y's | 8.5 10 bolt 3.73 | M22
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 04, 01:00 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Cool

Remove the fuel pump relay in the engine compartment. Its located drvr side, by the hood hinge. The fuel pump is an axial type type meaning fuel will flow through it if pumped by another pump, ie, mechanical pump.

The return line can be plugged. If the charcoal cannister is still in use, good deal. Make sure the system works good. If not going to use the charcoal cannister, plug all the lines, then get a vented gas cap.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 04, 02:25 AM Thread Starter

thanks so much guys for the help..not sure what setup was in there before me i bought it as a rolling chassis but the direction im going to go with is to plug off the return, and the canister and use a vented cap seems to be the simpliest...anything to not have to pull the tank!... btw the way this is a great site i have found answer to many question i've had without haveing to post at all...keep it up!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode