Control modular failure - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 00, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I originally posted this under general tech, but I think the problem is a trouble shooter. Here's the deal - 68 Camaro, 350 w/H.E.I., had a minor electrical fire, the plastic grommet that plugs into the key (this grommet holds 8 ingnition wires, has a three prong clip, clips directly into the key/lock cylinder) melted, so I was left not knowing were the wires should be connected to the new key cylinder. Buy running the a wire from the Battery connection on the fuse box, to the battery connection on the H.E.I., I can use the key to start the car, and it will run for about 1 to 2 minutes, then it burns out the control modular, I do not race the RPM's I let it idle. A guy suggested (gheatly) the voltage regulator, and I am suspect of it as well, unfortunatly I am a body, and drivetrain man, and am completely in the dark about how a 12 volt system really works, aside from using a test lite, and a volt meter I'm useless, what do I need to do to get this thing to run. (i think i need to get rid of the external volt regulation system, buy a new alternater, internally regulated, Can I do that? on a 68?

[This message has been edited by Chris Maher (edited 01-13-2000).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 00, 06:34 AM
Tech Team

Chris,

hopefully this will help. I had to do the exact same repair as you face. After you buy the new 3-prong module the wiring order is as follows: (hold the module with terminals facing you) (1) 10 o'clock position is marked BAT- 12g Red (2) 12 o'clock ACC - 24g Brn/W AND 12 Brn (3) 1 o'clock SOL - 12g Purple (4) 2 o'clock IGN - 12 Pink (5) Center post - KEY+ 20 Pink (6) 6 o'clock KEY- - 20 Black (7) 8 o'clock GRD - 20DG. This is the way I set up my switch. ADDITIONALLY, I also removed the 10-12 Red lead from the battery that goes under the core support to horn relay and replace it with a lead from starter that has an INLINE fuse (20 amp). This has been a lifesaver, it will save the whole wiring from frying again.... Summit Racing provided me a One-Wire alternator with internal regulator that eliminates the original alternator wiring AND the voltage regulator. I use a MSD system with a Unilite (could be any distributor as far as the MSD is concerned) and have great success. I will check your post several times a day if you have any questions, I know this can be a VERY frustrating part of the "fun". Good luck!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode