EGR Valve & Hot Engine - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 02, 02:54 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

the previous owner of my car removed the egr valve for some unknown reason to me, and blocked the hole with a plate, now my question is, will not having an egr valve cause my engine to run hot? when my car runs at an idle for a while it gets really hot, im not sure if it will over heat or not but it runs above 220, i flushed the system a while back and put in a new thermostat (195 deg.) and a new Cap (15lbs) its a 305 engine carbureted non-computer controlled 1984 Camaro. any suggestions?

------------------
1984 Chevy Camaro (305)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 02, 07:54 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Paul

A blocked or missing EGR valve will not make your car get hot at idle. Actually, the EGR valve only works when the car is off idle and warm. It's job is (was!) to squirt a little exhaust gas into the incoming air to lower combustion efficiency (and therefore temperature) slightly. It sounds like a dumb thing to do but the effect is that less of the nitrogen in the air gets reacted during combustion, and then you create less NOx pollution.

In high performance applications, the EGR valve is generally removed to improve power.

Your problem is more likely that the electric cooling fan doesn't turn on in that car until 225 degrees. This is the way they came from the factory, and there's really nothing wrong with that. You can control the fan with a generally available thermostatic switch if you want to change the set points.

By the way, what's a non-computer '84 Camaro?? Even the carbureted models had computers. Did somebody remove yours??
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 02, 10:39 AM
Senior Tech

check the plug on the temp sensor located on the passenger side head, this sensor controlls the fans to come on at 218-220 degrees, alot of times they burn off, Timing can cause overheats, as well as the ECM having problems, like mis reading data from a Map or O2 Sensor, the ECM will keep the car rich, the 84 most likely had the QuadraJet with the computer controls and Vacuume lines all over the place, but I believe it was still metered by the ECM,

I had a nightmare problem with mine too

see
https://www.camaros.net/forum/Forum5/HTML/002338.html

this might help.

------------------
Chris's 67 RS/SS,can be seen at http://www.67rs.com
check out another site once in a while! http://www.fbodyconnection.com

[This message has been edited by Chris Edwards (edited 10-30-2002).]

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 02, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

i dont have an electric fan in my car.
so im not sure what the problem is now, since the weather is cold now i dont have the hot engine problem, but during the summer before i replaced the radiator cap and installed a thrmostat i had the prob. so im hoping i fixed it, i just happpend to read something about the egr in the chilton manul about it causing the engine to get hot.

------------------
1984 Chevy Camaro (305)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 02, 06:44 PM
Senior Tech

The '84 305 had a clutch fan if I remember correctly. If it heats up at idle and city driving and runs cool at highway speeds the fan clutch is probably shot. Buy a new one and replace it. Pretty simple job. Napa lists them from $35 to $99. Just make sure you get the right one.

------------------
'69 RS Camaro
355 5-speed 4.11
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 02, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

i wouldve never thought about that, thanks alot, i will check it out this weekend. sounds like that could very well be it. since i tried everything else already. thats why i come to you guys

------------------
1984 Chevy Camaro (305)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode