Need help with my brakes - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 01, 09:08 AM Thread Starter

Question

Hey guys, this is about my 78 Chevy pickup. I am posting it here because you guys are the best!! The problem I am having is that after I stop at a light or whatever my brakes are not releasing all of the way. I don't think it is all of them. Yesterday I took off the right rear drum. I adjusted it all the way down and still had trouble getting it off. I took apart the wheel cylinder and put it all back together, and still no luck. I think the right front is sticking too, but it is hard to tell, maybe they all are sticking. I put a new master cylinder in a couple of months ago so i don't think that is the problem. I am gonna flush out the old brake fluid and see what happens. Could it be the booster maybe?
Any ideas would help, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 01, 10:00 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bruno

If the locking it's just one wheel,check the brake hose. I have seen then all cloged, the fluid runs to the cylinder or caliper at high pressure but doesn't return cause of the cloged hose. just a hint, good luck.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 01, 06:01 PM
Senior Tech
Dale

If you loosen the bleeder screw does that brake release?How about cracking the master cyl. line at the master does it release?Try the front line and check the rear brakes, then the rear line,and check the front brakes.

------------------
68 z28 68 rs 327 73 454 vette

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 01, 07:58 AM
Senior Tech

its your rubber hoses, they are collapsing in on themselves internally, thuse causing residual pressure, there only 14 bux, get new ones. even if they look clean, they could be bad. you cant tell untill you replace them... but I gauruntee if your cylinders are good and the shoes/pads are fine, the hose is the culprite.. just be carefull on the removal of teh brake line, I had snapped mine and had to re-flare it.

------------------
Chris's 67 RS can be seen at http://www.67rs.com
JOIN THE CAMARO NET WEBRING! http://nav.webring.yahoo.com/hub?ring=camaronet&list

[This message has been edited by Chris Edwards (edited 02-08-2001).]
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 01, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replys guys. I will change the rubber hoses and flush the fluid this weekend. What is the best way to flush the fluid. Do I need one of those little vacume pumps or can I let gravity do the work? Thanks again!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 01, 05:09 PM
Senior Tech
Steven

Make sure you have the right Mast Cyl...Also,if the brake pushrod is out of adjustment, it could be keeping the brakes under pressure which will cause the brakes to heat-up as you drive around
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 01, 08:52 AM
Senior Tech

Drive the car for a while and put you hand on all four wheels, the heat will indicate the problem wheel.
I had a caddy convert (boss hog car), a brake line was collapsed and the rotor would get cherry red
Gravity and pumping will do the trick of fluid exchange

John
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 01, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

What is the brake pushrod? Does it push the brake shoes? Thanks again
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 01, 04:51 PM
Senior Tech
Steven

The brake pushrod is the rod that extends from the brake pedal to the master cyl. I am not sure about your application, but on some applications it is adjustable. It is is adjusted too long, then it is the same as riding around with your foot on the brake.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode