69 Power Top that clicks - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 02, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Don

I'm looking at a 69 convertible with a power top that does not work. When you try to raise or lower the top all you get is a clicking noise. Would this be a bad motor or a broken part somewhere?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 02, 05:23 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Where is the click coming from? sounds like the pump motor isn't working. The pump motor is mounted behind the back seat and some have gotten to it from the trunk. I just replaced a hyd ram and accessed it from the interior. What rver you do, be ready for lots of fluid from hoses that may need to be disconnected. Potential for a big mess if not extra careful.

If the pump/motor has to be replaced I think it's about $300 or a little more. Rams are about $150 ea

------------------
...Dennis
"The '69, the '96 & the club"
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 02, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Don

Thanks Dennis! My guess was the pump, but I wanted to bounce it off someone with experience.

Love that 69 White Wonder,
Donald

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 02, 06:24 PM
Senior Tech
Bob

Myt,

I have a 69 convertible with a power top as well. Mine is a basket case that has been sitting for about 20 years. I was able to put power from my truck via jumper cables to the switch directly and get the top to go up an down somewhat slowly. I would pull the back seat and check to make sure there is fluid in the tank. I beleive and Dennis correct me if I am wrong, but you will be able to see fluid move through the lines if it is pumping. Just my 2 cents worth.

Bob
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 02, 05:08 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
You're right Bob, unless the hoses have been painted like the ones in my car. Thanks for the complement Don...

As you get this sorted out you may need some of this information www.camaros.net/forum/Forum16/HTML/000894.html It sure made my life easier this weekend and I've added the pitfalls I ran into as well.

------------------
...Dennis
"The '69, the '96 & the club"
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 02, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Don

Yep already read that thread tonight. Man I shouldn't hang out in places like this until I buy a car. This hurts! LOL

Oh well... the more I know the better prepared I am to actual make the purchase.

Thanks gang!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode