Finally got around to a rebuild - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 01, 04:07 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

As many of you probably have seen, I did an egine swap in August and had nothing but trouble. I was plagued by water in the #8 cylinder, RPM cam, overheating, massive oil burning and more. What makes it worse it that this was not the first engine I had ever put together.

Anyway, I pulled the motor and started the rebuild. I sent the block to the machine shop. They really checked it good. No cracks, but the tops of most of the cylinder bores were out of spec. It seems that the were fine about half way down, but REALLY worn up at top. My first mistake during the first build was to measure the bore at this half way point. The pistons were losing seal at TDC. That explained the oil buring. I pulled the Edelbrock cam and bought the Comp 262 cam kit. When installing the new springs, I found six of the old springs were broken. Not sure why the valves never floated, but I am sure it hurt performance somehow.

I had the motor bored .30 over and put a set of sealed power pistons in it. The motor was fired off on the stand Saturday morning. Talk about a night and day difference. I cannot wait to drive it.....

------------------
------------------
Mark

1992 Firebird 355/Six Speed (Soon to be LT1)
1991 RS 350 / 700-R4
1987 Toyota Pickup 383 / 500 + HP 10.963 @ 119.95 Slicks / 11.997 @ 114.23 Radials
"Speed KILLS, so drive a FORD and live forever!"
http://personal.lig.bellsouth.net/~racer383/

Member of the "unwanted" 3rd Gen group.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 01, 05:21 AM
Senior Tech
John

Thumbs up

Congratulations! I hope that this one keeps you happy for many miles of cruisin'.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 01, 04:39 PM
Senior Tech

dont sweat it , you probably were sent ford parts in the previous rebuild, that explains the headache.

congratulations, you will enjoy tire smoking rather than oil smoking now...

------------------

Chris's 67 RS can be seen at http://www.67rs.com
JOIN THE CAMARO NET WEBRING! http://nav.webring.yahoo.com/hub?ring=camaronet&list

[This message has been edited by Chris Edwards (edited 04-09-2001).]

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 01, 07:20 PM
Senior Tech

You learned alot about what should and what shouldn't be done during a rebuild I guarantee you will never make that mistake again. No matter what people tell you untill you make the mistake yourself it won't sink in. I speak from having done just about every thing that can be done wrong. Even with my thick skull I did manage to learn

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode