As many of you probably have seen, I did an egine swap in August and had nothing but trouble. I was plagued by water in the #8 cylinder, RPM cam, overheating, massive oil burning and more. What makes it worse it that this was not the first engine I had ever put together.
Anyway, I pulled the motor and started the rebuild. I sent the block to the machine shop. They really checked it good. No cracks, but the tops of most of the cylinder bores were out of spec. It seems that the were fine about half way down, but REALLY worn up at top. My first mistake during the first build was to measure the bore at this half way point. The pistons were losing seal at TDC. That explained the oil buring. I pulled the Edelbrock cam and bought the Comp 262 cam kit. When installing the new springs, I found six of the old springs were broken. Not sure why the valves never floated, but I am sure it hurt performance somehow.
I had the motor bored .30 over and put a set of sealed power pistons in it. The motor was fired off on the stand Saturday morning. Talk about a night and day difference. I cannot wait to drive it.....
1992 Firebird 355/Six Speed (Soon to be LT1)
1991 RS 350 / 700-R4
1987 Toyota Pickup 383 / 500 + HP 10.963 @ 119.95 Slicks / 11.997 @ 114.23 Radials
"Speed KILLS, so drive a FORD and live forever!"
Member of the "unwanted" 3rd Gen group.