84 Camaro with Vacuum Hose Problems - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 00, 07:50 AM Thread Starter

Hey there,

I have an 84 Camaro with a v6 (2.8L) engine. Now, my problems are:t
1) that the previous owner didn't know what he was doing. He rewired the vacuum hosing around the carburator real bad. I wanted to know if anyone has a schematic on how the vacuum hoses go that they can send me. I've purchased the Haynes manual, but it doesn't have them.

2) Everytime that I start the car, I have to try it three times then it starts. Once it starts, it runs smooth. I've done the tune up - new spark plugs (SplitFire), spark plug wires, distributor cap, rotor, Air filter, gas filter, PVC filter, oil change.

3) The car smells a lot like exhaust (used to smell like crude gas as well). I did take it to a muffler shop who told me that there was nothing wrong with the exhaust system - my problem was that it was burning crude oil - something wrong with the air/fuel mixture. So, I took it to another mechanic who said that the MAF computer was not connected to the carburator, so it was not regulating the mixture (leave it to the previous owner to unplug that). He connected it and it worked, but I still have the sent of the exhaust...more so when I turn the car on.

So, if you could lend a hand...I'd appreciate it very much. If there is someone living around McAllen to where I could drive over and take a look at your carburator, I'd definitely appreciate that...

Thanks...

------------------
Life is a work of art sculptured by the one who lives it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 00, 02:31 PM
Bill

Dickson,
The local Chevy dealer should be able to get you the underhood sticker for your car. It has the vacuum diagram on it. They will need the vin to get the correct one. A lot of the 2.8's have a "heater" under the carb. It will burn out and give you symptoms similar to yours. Also, the exhaust smell probably means the carb is running rich. Might need a rebuild to take care of it. There are a lot of things on the newer cars that you can throw money at if you are not careful. If you are not real sure of yourself, it may cost you less to find a good shop and pay them to do the work. It sometimes takes the right diagnostic equipment to find even a simple problem. If you do decide to find a GOOD shop...try this site www.iatn.net
Hope this helps,

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode