oil consumption - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 99, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

327/300 in 68 Camaro. Using 3 quarts of oil in less than 1,000 miles. No blue smoke out of exhaust. No contaimation of antifreeze. Good vacuum reading (18-22). Engine runs smooth. All plugs seem to have oil deposits to the point of some fouling and have to be cleaned. Could this be value stem seals gone bad? Any other possiblities?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 99, 04:01 PM
Bill

g,
I hate to say it but I doubt that it is valve seals. The earlier motors did not have anything other than a small o-ring anyway and they did not use much oil. The valve guides would have to be ready for the valves to fall out to use that much oil. You did not mention if this is problem that started all at once, or has been on going and just got worse ? It could be a PCV problem, but more than likely, it is just a worn out motor, probably rings more than anything. Have someone follow you and really get into it in second gear, or low with a Powerglide, and then let off the gas quickly, I bet they will see some smoke both under acceleration and when you let off. It is very difficult to see this by yourself just driving down the road. I'm sure this is not what you wanted to hear, but probably the truth.
By the way, I am ruling out any major leaks and just assuming the oil is disappearing. Hope this helps.

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

[This message has been edited by BillK (edited 04-18-99).]
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 99, 04:54 PM
Senior Tech

A set of valve seals may help some. Probably need to run a compression test to see what the condition of the rings are. If I remember right a 300 hp should have about 160 psi in each cyl. at cranking. Try a fresh oil change and a bottle of STP oil treatment. IF the oil consumption improves, you need some serious engine work in the near future.
tom

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 99, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. Tell me more about the PCV condition that could be the cause. There is alot of suction in the PCV line from the carb to the PCV valve in the valve cover to the point that the rubber hose is almost collasped. Also, there are no engine leaks. Everything is dry. I just put the engine together. I did not get into the bottom end because there was very little to no cylinder wear. I want to explore all possibilities before I pull the engine and tear it apart. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I will check the compression this weekend. Thanks in advance.

[This message has been edited by g5067 (edited 04-21-99).]
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 99, 09:01 AM

MAKE SURE YOU PERFORM A DRY AND WET COMPRESSION TEST ... IF THE READINGS ARE LOW ON THE DRY TEST THEN PUT A TABLE SPOON OF 30WEIGHT OIL IN THE LOW COMP. CYLINDERS AND DO THE COMP. TEST AGAIN . IF THE READINGS STAY THE SAME THEN YOU HAVE LEAKING VALVES IF THE COMPRESSION GOES UP THEN YOU HAVE WORN RINGS ....
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 99, 09:04 AM

MAKE SURE YOU PERFORM A DRY AND WET COMPRESSION TEST ... IF THE READINGS ARE LOW ON THE DRY TEST THEN PUT A TABLE SPOON OF 30WEIGHT OIL IN THE LOW COMP. CYLINDERS AND DO THE COMP. TEST AGAIN . IF THE READINGS STAY THE SAME THEN YOU HAVE LEAKING VALVES IF THE COMPRESSION GOES UP THEN YOU HAVE WORN RINGS ....
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 99, 02:39 PM
Bill

g (?),
Is this a problem that just started all of a sudden or did it happen after you changed something else ? Is there a breather on the other valve cover, or a hose going to the air cleaner ? Is the PCV valve hose full of oil ? It should be dry if working properly. Post some more details and I will try to help figure it out. Better yet, e-mail them to me as I have been very busy at work lately and have not been monitoring the forums as much as I used to.

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode