A lot of white smoke! - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 99, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

I have a 79 camaro berlinetta, auto, 350, 87,000 miles. I just put a new cam and lifters in and also had the heads sent to the machine shop. It started up with no problem and runs great but theres alot of white smoke that that pours out after the engine gets hot. I'm not sure what the problem is. If any when has any suggestions on what it could be please let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 99, 09:39 PM

My Chevelle had a similar problem. Because you had your heads off, and you replaced your gasket, there is probobly a head gasket leak that is allowing coolant into the chambers where it combusts with the gas and leaves the exhaust as steam.
Just my guess,

------------------
Jon Bush
Fremont, CA
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 99, 06:30 AM Thread Starter

Thanks JON66 I will think about giving it a try. What do I have to loose. I will tell you if it works. Thanks again.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 99, 01:00 PM
Tech Team

HOLD IT!!!
Has your autobox behaved in a perculiar manner lately?
The TH350 has a vaccum modulator situated at the passenger side of the box.Its diaphragm might be busted.This will ALSO induce the white smoke you´re speaking of.
Check is as simple as locating the modulator(looks like a small can fastened by one 1/4" bolt and a bracket),and following its hardline/hose to your carb/intake.Just losen the hose at the engine side and see what happends.If the smoke clears,you´ve got a 15$ affair on your hands.Swap takes about 2 minutes flat.
If this doesn´t help,pressure check the motor-either via radiator or via a leakdown test.

------------------
DVC-98.Racing
482 cubes of fogger injected thunder in a 71 z.
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode