Never underestimate spark plugs - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 02, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
mwh
Senior Tech
Marc

I've been trying to get my new 383 stroker running right for quite a while now. I am by no means an expert tuner, so it's been a real learning experience. The search feature here on camaros.net has been very handy and informative.

Since I first fired the motor, I've fixed a vaccuum leak, timing problem, re-adjusted the valves, and got the timing curve dialed in correctly. Idle mixture and accelerator pump cam are adjusted pretty well now. Don't get me wrong, all of this stuff has taken a lot of trial and error, and a lot of mistakes to finally get right.

So I come to my latest problem. Car was idling pretty good and would rev quickly, but as soon as I put it in 1st and let the clutch out, it would fall flat on it's face. Poor throttle response, and when I could finally get it moving, it would backfire out of the exhaust real bad.

The problem? The spark plugs!! Yep, they were sooty black from running too rich and from all of the other troubleshooting I had done. They were the plugs I first started the car with. On top of that #8 was even tightened all the way. It's real tight fit with the header, so even though I thought I got it tight, I must have been wrong. I am not sure how much it affected the motor, but it sure couldn't have helped. So the plugs were good enough to let the car idle and rev with no load, but that's about it.

Now that I have the new plugs in, it's like a completely different motor. The idle is smoother, it revs even better, and no more backfires when I let the clutch out. It's got a lot more power now, like I would expect from a 383. So don't underestimate what fouled, sooty plugs can do to your performance. It was like night and day for me. I can't wait to take it out for a real test drive tomorrow. It's never been farther than down to the end of my street! Sorry for the long note, just wanted to share my experiences with y'all.

-Marc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 02, 03:31 AM
Tech Team

I once got a complete set of new plugs that were bad. Had just built the engine for a customer and was going to break in the cam for him. Around that time there was a lot of problems with condensors that were bad and what with the engine being new and having spark to the plugs and no access to a scope it took me a couple of days and a lot of cussing to figure out what was going on. Doh! You know to check the gap but then you just assume brand new plugs will be OK.

------------------
Steve
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 02, 02:43 PM
Senior Tech
Jerry

Send a message via MSN to blackvi
Hey guys!

Wanna Tell us what plugs you now run? I'm sure if you let us know the heads, and any mods you did to them, It will be helpfull!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 02, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
mwh
Senior Tech
Marc

The plugs are plain old AC Delco R45TS. The heads are Dart Iron Eagles which were mildly ported.

Took the car for it's first trip out of the neighborhood today. Lots of power!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 02, 12:03 PM
Senior Tech
Jerry

Send a message via MSN to blackvi
AC delco R45TS is what I use.... nice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode