Hot Stall - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 01, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

Question

I have a 91 RS 305 TBi 700R4 auto. Mods include K&N, Flowtech exhaust, & hypertech streetrunner & tstat. It just recently started but seems to be getting worse. When I drive around town at surface road speeds for a while, the engine will just stall out when I stop. When i try to restart it cranks and dies once or twice, then cranks and goes, sometimes starts right back up. It has plenty of power and will do fine on the interstate. I checked the injector spray pattern and it seems ok. No vaccum leaks that I can find. and when its cold or driven for a short distance it purrs like a kitten. I thought vaporlock or electrical but its all good. Will 02 sensor or EGR cause these problems? I get a sporatic check enging light sometimes too, code 32 translates to Baro sensor or EGR. maybe? just dont want to spend hundreds on parts chasing ghosts.

[This message has been edited by exdog (edited 02-27-2001).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 01, 07:14 PM
Senior Tech
Dale

Well,I dont know. It's possible the egr is hanging open a little.I would pull off and plug the vaccum hose to the egr,and try it. It's also possible the coolant temp sensor is bad,reading cold.The sensor has to be way off, for a code to set.Check the connection at the coolant sensor,for corrosion. How many miles on it? How often does it happen.Does it matter how much fuel is in tank? Is your battery,and cables really ,really clean?

------------------
68 z28 ,68 rs 327 ,73 454 vette, 2 goofy kids
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 01, 06:06 AM Thread Starter

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dale68z:
Well,I dont know. It's possible the egr is hanging open a little.I would pull off and plug the vaccum hose to the egr,and try it. It's also possible the coolant temp sensor is bad,reading cold.The sensor has to be way off, for a code to set.Check the connection at the coolant sensor,for corrosion. How many miles on it? How often does it happen.Does it matter how much fuel is in tank? Is your battery,and cables really ,really clean?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Battey's good, 112k on it and it doesn't matter how much fuel is in it. The coolant temp switch is fairly new, I got it by mistake instead of the fan switch so I just went ahead and put it in. I got to messing with it today, when I reach under the egr and open it manually it stalls just like I mentioned before. So for now I unhooked the actuator that opens the EGR to see if that made a difference. I dont know it the idle air or throttle position sensor would cause it not to raise the idle to match the increased air when the EGR opens.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 01, 09:57 AM

Lightbulb

My 87 used to stall at every light when I stopped unless I gave it a little gas and held the clutch in before applying the brakes. I changed wires, plugs, egr, etc. Nothing seemed to work. I decided to buy a $3 PVC valve, (even though the old one moved freely), my engine hasn't stalled at a light in over 2 years. Might work for you. Now I have another problem though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode