whoop T do - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 02, 02:01 AM Thread Starter

Well i was driving my car and it just felt like it was choking for air so i stopped and took off the air filter and it was fine. next i pulled out the intake hose and there it was. a nice big pile of rust colored "mud". it was a mixture of radiator fluid, oil, and something that may be water. it DIDNT go through the air filter and the air filter was too dirty, it went through the pcv valve in the breather tube and spit it into the intake hose. now dont get me wrong...there was a lot of that gunk in all three parts. Why would my valves spit that stuff out like that. my engine does run hot sometimes and i have drained the radiator fluid once before but its NEVER been actually flushed. im having a new engine built now so i dont really car if the engine busts but i need to save the radiator unless you guys think it could have overheated and cracked....anyone have any idea whats going on? i also have oil leaking from the same gasket with the pcv valve. HELP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 02, 02:04 AM Thread Starter

SORRY I MEANT TO SAY THE AIR FILTER WASNT TOO DIRTY
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 02, 02:10 AM
Guess

Sounds like a blown head gasket, or worse. Good thing you're not saving this engine.
I would think that a good radiator flushing with the right stuff would save it for you, depending on how old it is.
Good luck!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 02, 02:56 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Paul

2.8's and 3.1's are notorious for having the intake manifold gasket water passages, at the four corners, leak into the crankcase. I hate to wreck your day, but if you've been driving the car around like this for more than a few miles, then the engine is all done!!

The antifreeze, even in small amounts, will destroy the main and rod bearings in no time. Maybe it's time for that V8 upgrade you've been dreaming of!!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 02, 06:30 AM Thread Starter

Cool

o you people and your fancy smancy v8's. yeah i think the engine is done for...the guy thats building my FAST V6 engine told me i might need to upgrade the radiator so i guess ill just be pissin in the wind if i try to flush the radiator. i just hope the engine will hold out for a few weeks.... THANK YOU FOR YOUR REPLY
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 02, 09:44 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Paul

Yeah, at this point, flushing would probably make it worse. It could wash more of the gasket out causing it to just whiz water into the crankcase at an amazing rate.

Try to reduce the pressure in the cooling system as much as you can. Try a 6 pound radiator cap, or leave the cap loose if you can get away with it.

Make sure that the crankcase oil level doesn't go too far over full or you will send the engine hydraulic! At that point, it's "game over" and you'll need some more quarters!

Drive it as nice as you can and it may just last a few weeks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode