Spedometer Problem. Any ideas please. - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 02, 06:22 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I had to replace my spedometer cable on my 85 iroc. Ever since my spedometer is all herky jerky. I lubed it, and it dosent have any kinks. Did I miss anything? Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 02, 07:42 AM
Senior Tech

Well hello again 85iroc,
When you replaced your cable, did you make sure that the ends of the cable were fully installed in the back of the speedometer and also at the connection in the engine compartment? Also, did you by any chance remove the face plate from your speedometer?

The Trickster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 02, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Hey Trickster, I only have a connection from tranny to spedometer, I took those connections out twice to double check the seating of them. They appear to be seated ok. Now if your asking me if I took the face off that tells me I should have gone with my gut instinct and not taken it off. Yes I did take it off. Is that bad? I also think I may have an 84 transmission, I was told the 85 has a sending unit not a cable. I have to run the numbers on the tranny still. Thanks for the quick reply

85iroc

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 02, 01:07 PM
Senior Tech

Hello 85iroc,
No, it was not necessarily a bad thing to do. Just something that you really did not have to do. I'm not really sure what you mean when you say herky jerky. If you mean that it looks like the needle might be rubbing on the plastic cover, then I would check to see if the speedometer needle was properly seated on its post. At what point on the speedometer does this start to happen. 5mph, 15mph, 25mph or higher. Let me Know please.
P.S. Mine is an '89 Iroc and it also has a cable for the speedometer. However, mine comes in two pieces that join in the engine compartment underneath the master cylinder.

The Trickster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 02, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Trickster,
As soon as I take off, the speedometer bounces around between like 10, 40, 20, 80. It rides somewhat steady when I stay at one speed. Just a little bounce. when I change speed, slow down or speed up it bounces around alot. Anywhere between like 10, and 90.

85iroc
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 02, 03:34 PM
Senior Tech

Hey 85iroc,
Check your e-mail!!!!!!!!!! Ijust e-mailed you a page from an '89 camaro service manual dealing with the speedometer. Pay particular attention to the part about springs and magnets. It is in PDF format so you shouldn't have any problem opening it. If you do, let me know and I will re-send it in a different format. Let me know if this helps any.

The Trickster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 02, 01:57 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Trickster,
I got it, thanks. I looked it over, what are they talking about when they say the cup? My Chilton dosent go real in depth. Pretty much take dash and speedometer out and replace. When I took it off it all just kinda exploded on me. I didnt get a chance to see where everything was. Does the coil sit in the back of the speedometer needle? Right now I have it needle, face plate, coil, odometer. I dont think thats right. Sorry if this is a bit elementary, sometimes the easy things **** you off the most.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 02, 05:57 AM
Senior Tech

Hey 85iroc,
How are ya! It's been a bad week and my brain is a little clogged with cobwebs at the moment, so give me a moment to clear a few of them. Okay, let me see if I remember the way the inside of my speedometer looked the last time I was in it. With the face plate off, you should see the odometer and the worm gear that drives it. In the center of the housing for the speedometer, you will see the cup that holds the post for the speedometer needle. This post has a coil spring attached to it, attached to the other end of the coil spring is a small metal bar or rod. This metal bar or rod fits in a slot inside this cup that I mentioned earlier. This is what gives tension to the speedometer needle as the cable turns. I don't know the manner in which you removed the face plate, however, the wording in your last post leads me (and I may possibly be wrong) to believe that you removed the face plate and needle as one piece. If this is the case, you need to very carefully remove the needle from the post. Once you do this, carefully position the needle post and coil spring in the cup, making sure the metal bar or rod is inserted in its slot. Then mount the face plate, after that all you have to do is put the needle back on the post and finish putting the instrument cluster back together. Another thing, it is a good idea to have the battery disconnected while you are doing this. Also, a good set of service manuals from the dealership would be a little more comprehensive than the Haynes or Chilton manuals. I have used them both and have found them too vague in a lot of areas. The service manuals cost several dollars more, but, are well worth it in the long run.
Hope this helps!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Trickster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by trickster (edited 09-14-2002).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode