sqeeeeeaaaalllllllll - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old May 30th, 02, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

What are the symptoms of a lose belt? I have an 87 camaro that squeals like crazy. I replaced the belts, and then the altenator. This helped a little bit, but i can still hear squealing when i start the car, and if i hit the gas hard. Also, the anmeter (sp?) keeps dropping when is squeals. Could i have bought a bad altenator? It was "remanufactured"....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old May 30th, 02, 01:21 PM
Senior Tech
Mike

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by wplax26:
What are the symptoms of a lose belt? I have an 87 camaro that squeals like crazy. I replaced the belts, and then the altenator. This helped a little bit, but i can still hear squealing when i start the car, and if i hit the gas hard. Also, the anmeter (sp?) keeps dropping when is squeals. Could i have bought a bad altenator? It was "remanufactured"....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Try lublicating the belts a little. I had the same problem, once, I replaced the belts and got a little better, then I lublicated them with a little grease and that annoying squeak went away...

Good luck.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old May 30th, 02, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

How do i go about lubricating the belts? I'm afriad i'll use something corrisive. Olive Oil? Petroleum Jelly? Engine Grease?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old May 30th, 02, 07:09 PM
Senior Tech
Tim

Send a message via AIM to sixtsevnssrs
Have you replaced the tensioner and the idler/tensioner pulley? Do not put any lubricants on your belt. If anything, a belt dressing is available at any parts store. Its a temporary fix if it is indead the belt. Did you use a good belt or did you go cheap? Gates is about the best, Top Cog is ok too. Remember you get what you pay for.

------------------
Tim
67 ss/rs,
Visit my page!!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old May 30th, 02, 08:02 PM
David Pozzi

Don't put lube on the belts. The lube will eliminate the squeal, but the belt will still be slipping even more.
Check if your alternator pulley is worn out and can't grip the belt anymore.
You should not be able to turn the alternator pulley with your hand (engine not running of course).

I prefer Gates belts, we use them on our fleet with good results.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327 original owner. 69 Camaro Vintage Racer, 65 Lola T-70 Chev SB Can-Am Vintage Racer
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old May 31st, 02, 01:41 AM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to Spames
Use a bar of soap on your belt. That seems to quiet them down, but I'm not sure if it's a fix to the real problem.

------------------
68 Coupe, 350 4-speed
Jim's Camaro Corner

[This message has been edited by Spames (edited 05-31-2002).]
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old May 31st, 02, 10:19 AM
David Pozzi

Also realize that right after charging the alternator load is the highest. The alt is replacing the power taken from the battery to start up.
Once the battery is charged back up, the alternator load goes back down, and belt load is eased.
A slightly larger diamiter pulley will grip the belt better, also the more belt wrap around the alternator pulley the better the grip.
David

------------------
David's Motorsports page
67 RS 327 original owner. 69 Camaro Vintage Racer, 65 Lola T-70 Chev SB Can-Am Vintage Racer
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 02, 06:15 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

"Don't put lube on the belts. The lube will eliminate the squeal, but the belt will still be slipping even more.
Check if your alternator pulley is worn out and can't grip the belt anymore.
You should not be able to turn the alternator pulley with your hand (engine not running of course).
I prefer Gates belts, we use them on our fleet with good results.
David"

1.Do you mean with the belt on the altenator or off?
2. I bought my altenator as "remanufactured". Do they replace the pulley?
3. I didn't get Gates belts , could that really be the problem?
4. I didnt' replace the tensior either, but i don't think my car has one, it runs on multiple belts. (87 305 FI Z28)

[This message has been edited by wplax26 (edited 06-01-2002).]
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 02, 05:41 PM
David Pozzi

You should not be albe to turn the alternator pulley by hand with the belt on it. If you can make the belt slip by hand, it will slip when running. Either the belt is too loose, or it is not a good belt.

Some brands of belts will grip better than others.

I doubt you have a tensioner. If you are not sure about the proper tension to set your belt, drop by a GM dealer and ask them to show you.

We have 1974, 1977, 1981, 1984 year model chevy pickups on our farm, ALL have had problems with belt slipping.

My old 84 pickup was one of the worst offenders and had a pretty good wrap on the belt, meaning the belt only ran the alternator on that model, but still slipped unless very tight, had a good pulley, and the belt was less than two years old, (Gates).

The older models the belt ran the alternator, then went over the smog pump pulley, so the alternator only had about a quarter of the pulley in contact with the belt! They would slip very easily.

Some alternators don't come with a pulley, and you have to re-use yours. Others come with a new pulley. I don't know if any come with a used pulley on them but it's possible.

Examine the pulley belt groove closely and see if the sides are flat.
David

------------------
David's Motorsports page
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode