front panels not aligning correctly... - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 02, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

I hope this is in the right forum.
Anyway, I just got repro doors and fenders for my 68 from ricks, and I put the doors on w/ all the hardware, and got them ligned up pretty well.
I next put the fenders on, and I am starting to realize that everything isnt ligning up correctly.
Everything is aliging in a way, to make it look like the body is twisted, or else the front subframe is outta alignment. Before i bought the car, the previous owner replaced the front subframe bushings, so maybe he didnt lign it up properly when done.
I dunno...just please tell me what you think is the matter and what to do about it...

Thanx

------------------
79 Camaro Z-28
68 Camaro Z-28
68 Camaro Parts car
68 Camaro Parts car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 02, 07:00 PM
Senior Tech
John

The repo fenders WILL NOT line up correctly with the lower windshield molding. This is one way to tell repos from originals. Align the door with the quarter panel and rocker panel, and then "make" the fender line up as close as you can. Leave the fender outboard of the door so as to prevent the door from hitting it when opening. I messed with mine for 3 days, and although it looks OK, it is still not aligned perfectly.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 02, 03:14 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

I can't speak for the repro 68 stuff but I can tell you there is a LOT of adjustabillity available in the body design. I would definaltely check the body to subframe alignment holes to see if the frame drop was not assembled correctly. There could be some easy to fix issues there.

The repro panels are notorious for inconsistant fit but if it is fairly straight, you should be able to fit it in place. You do sometimes need a blowtorch for this but there is a lot of adjustability in the design. I have a mostly repro front clip and there were fenders that fit and some that needed cutting of the inner frame to get it to line up. I compared it to the original piece and it was obvious that the repro had been spot welded together incorrectly.

Alignment will take days for us amatures. Well worth the effort so take your time. Buy a box of those fender aligment washers and have at it.

-Mark.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 02, 05:57 AM

This may sound crazy but, in April 2002 issue of CarCraft they had a pretty good write-up on aligning body panels. Although generic/generalized it helped me out when putting the front clip on my 69. This was my first time doing it and it came out, well, respectable considering that it was my first time.

Also, try the post, "COWL HOOD NOT LINING UP," July 20th, 2002. MARTINSR threw in a write-up of "how to's" that would make any automotive magazine jealous.

Just be patient Good luck!

------------------
1969, X-44, Export Model, Hugger Orange, Std. Int., BC Rear, PDB, GMPP 350HO, M22 Supercase, SSM Lift Bars, AirGap, Holley 750, FlowMaster American Thunder Exhaust, FlowTech Headers
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 02, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

So should I jack the front end up from the rockers, leave the fenders on, then loosen the sub., and then tighten down the sub. w/ the fenders and such aligned?

Thanx

------------------
79 Camaro Z-28
68 Camaro Z-28
68 Camaro Parts car
68 Camaro Parts car
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 02, 07:01 PM

Well, let's not get carried away or anything. I didn't catch as to whether or not you had ever had the frame off. If so, the frame has holes that are punched from the factory and they are located next to the body bushing holes under the firewall. I took my old body hardware and stuck them into the dowl holes to align it and then proceeded to torque and tighten the body bushings. From there I had a little trouble putting on the front clip. The ENTIRE front clip is new and all GoodMark sheet metal. I didn't have to cut anything. It took about a week or two to get the doors and fenders lined up to suit my taste. Let us know if you ever had the frame off the car. If not, do you know if the car ever suffered from a fender bender?

------------------
1969, X-44, Export Model, Hugger Orange, Std. Int., BC Rear, PDB, GMPP 350HO, M22 Supercase, SSM Lift Bars, AirGap, Holley 750, FlowMaster American Thunder Exhaust, FlowTech Headers
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 02, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

well originally, my dad and i thought that it might have been in an accident or something, but after realizing that the previous owner replaced the bushings, it seemed logical that it was out of alignment. Everything on the front end is aligning so that it forms a wedge.
Like i have both fenders on, and i put on the header panel. The gap between that and the fender is narrower towards the front, and wider in the back(or the other way around, i forget).
Anyway, it just seemed like the front subframe was giving us all our aligning problems, maybe not...
If it isnt the sub. then i would like to know what it is cause its giving us alot of trouble

------------------
79 Camaro Z-28
68 Camaro Z-28
68 Camaro Parts car
68 Camaro Parts car

[This message has been edited by Dolman (edited 08-06-2002).]
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 02, 12:49 PM
Senior Tech

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dolman:
Everything on the front end is aligning so that it forms a wedge.
Like i have both fenders on, and i put on the header panel. The gap between that and the fender is narrower towards the front, and wider in the back(or the other way around, i forget).
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The previous owner of my car hosed the alignment by tightening the bolts inside the front of the fenders that bolt to the fender extensions before installing the fron panels. As a result, when the front panels were tightened they pulled against the front fender bolts and streatched the seams out of alingment. The fix was to remove the front panels, bang the mounting holes back into shape, loosen the fender extension bolts, install the front panels and retighten the extensions.

I would recommend fixing any distored mounting holes on the front panels, loosen all ataching bolts on the fenders, install the front panels and retighten the fender bolts. You might have to do this more than once to get it right.

-dnult

[This message has been edited by dnult (edited 08-07-2002).]
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 02, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

Another thing I checked today was point to point distances. I have 2 other 68s that didnt have big alignment problems, so i measured the distance from a spot on the heaterbox to part of the radiator, and then diagonly(sp?) from the other two corners, and noticed that the distances were pretty close on the two other cars, while my main car differed.
???

------------------
79 Camaro Z-28
68 Camaro Z-28
68 Camaro Parts car
68 Camaro Parts car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode