Tappet Setting on 305sbc - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 02, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I am having trouble with setting the tappets, or rocker arms etc. I am not sure how tight to go on the bolts that secure the tappets to the head stud. I have a rebuild manual by David Vizard, and it states that the piston should be at TDC on compression stroke, tighten the bolt until I can barely turn the pushrod between my fingertips and then go 1/2 turn more. Is this the best way to do this procedure. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 02, 06:24 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

1/2 turn down from "0" lash should be fine. I prefer the EO-IC method described on the Crane and Comp Cams websites. Here's what Crane says to do:

Adjusting Hydraulic Lifters for Proper Preload

In order to adjust the preload the lifter must be properly located on the base circle or “Heel” of the lobe. At this position the valve is closed and there is no lift taking place. You will need to watch the movement of the valves to determine which lifter is properly positioned for adjusting.

1. Remove the valve covers, and pick a cylinder you are going to set the preload on.

2. Hand rotate the engine in its normal direction of rotation and watch the exhaust valve on that particular cylinder. When the exhaust valve begins to open, stop and adjust that cylinder’s intake rocker arm. (Why? Because when the exhaust valve is just beginning to open, the intake lifter will be on the base circle of the lobe, the correct position for adjusting the intake.)

3. Back off the intake rocker arm adjuster and remove any tension from the pushrod. Wait a minute or two for that hydraulic lifter to return to a neutral position. The spring inside the lifter will move the pushrod seat up against the retaining lock if you give it time to do so. (If you are installing brand new lifters they will be in the neutral position when they come in the box.)

4. Now spin the intake pushrod with your fingers while tightening down the rocker arm. When you feel a slight resistance to the turning of the pushrod, you are at “Zero Lash”. Turn the adjusting nut down one half to one full turn from that point. Lock the adjuster into position. The intake is now adjusted properly.

5. Continue to hand turn the engine, watching that same intake. It will go to full open and then begin to close. When it is almost closed, stop and adjust the exhaust rocker arm on that particular cylinder. (Again, when we see the intake almost closed, we are sure that exhaust lifter is on the base circle of the lobe.) Loosen the exhaust rocker arm and follow the same procedure described before in steps 3 and 4 to adjust this rocker arm.

6. Both valves on this cylinder are now adjusted, and you can move on to your next cylinder and follow the same procedure again.

------------------
MY CAMARO
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 02, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thanks for the info. I guess I am goint to have to take off the intake manifold to do this procedure, I was hoping there was an easier way, but I only want to do this once, so I will take the long road. Thanks very much.This is where i wish i had done this right the first time

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 02, 04:48 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
The EO-IC is the most accurate and removing the intake makes visulization easier but it's not necessary...

There are other ways though that will sufice for a mild hyd build. Here's 2 of them; www.camaros.net/techref/ftecref17.html

IMO the most important thing is knowing how to get zero lash. The spin the pushrod works if you have used it but I like to the giggle the pushrod until the clearence is taken up and the giggle stops.

------------------
...Dennis
"The '69, the '96 & the club"
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 02, 05:54 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

Peter,

As Dennis said above, there is no need to remove the intake. You watch the valves open and close at the rocker arms themselves; you don't need to see the lifters at all. When the exhaust rocker just starts to lift, adjust the intake for that cylinder. Then rotate until the intake rocker you just adjusted goes fully opened and starts closing. When it's almost closed, adjust the exhaust rocker arm for that cylinder. And so on for the rest of the cylinders.

Leave the intake on.

Jody

------------------
MY CAMARO
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 02, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thanks for all your help guys. I think the easiest procedure for me sounds like the EO IC set up. And after reading the first response, I realized that I could do the procedure with out taking off the intake manifold. I have my work cut out for me this weekend. By the way. can misadjusted valves cause missing. I think it would but am not sure. Thanks much
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 02, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I must admit that the setting of the tappets with the EO-IC method was a bit more tedious. But I am very happy with the results. I was blown away at how important it is to adjust the valves properly. This has made my camaro pull 100 times greater, and I feel it now when I step on the gas. I also hear the rumble of the cam I had selected. It sounds great. Thanks for the help. I couldnt have done it with out you guys. Thanks much
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode