Steering Wheel/Steering Column Help - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 02, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I have a '68 RS. When I bought it, I bought it without a turn signal lever and without a hazard button. I know my hazards work because I push in the button with a screwdriver and you can see the hazards working in the dash. But I opened up my steering column and I saw that I am missing alot of parts. I just ordered a turn signal lever and hazard knob but I now know I need to order more parts.

Here is what I see: I take off the steering wheel and all I see is the Turn signal switch assembly. But it looks like half of it is missing. I am not to sure about this stuff but it looks like I only have the back half because I can see some electrical contacts where my hazard button would connect to. And when my dad was looking around inside of it he found a little metal pin where the turn signal lever would go, it looks like this maybe the pin that holds the turn signal in. Also, there are no screws holding this assembly in. I now know I need to get a canceling cam but I think I also need to get a turn signal cam? I am not to sure. I also forgot to mention that I do have an aftermarket steering wheel.

If anybody has gone through this before, please help!
or if anybody knows exactly what parts are needed to go inside of the steering column please help!

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 02, 06:00 AM
Senior Tech

It might be better if you post this in the Electrical forum, it seems to me to be an electrical question.

------------------
Leo Paugh
MCC #017

If you have no fear, you're not going as fast as you could.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 02, 06:31 AM
SY1
Senior Tech
Dave

Kyle,
Sounds like you may do well to purchase a used column at a swap meet. I picked one of for a 67-8 of the floor shift variety for $40. This is a steal considering many of the parts are no longer available at GM or any reporduction suppliers. Especially the bearings and shafts. Also the Chevrolet 68 Chassis Service Manual shows the complete breakdown and rebuild procedures for the 68 column. The book is really worthwhile purchasing if you're going to be doing any rebuilding of the car. The 67-8 are unique and most of the parts won't interchange with any of the later columns.

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode