89 RS starting problem - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 99, 03:26 AM Thread Starter

My son has an 89 RS 305 TBI. Sometimes, you never know when, it will quit running, not sputter or anything, just quit like the ignition was turned off. When he tries to crank it, it won't turn over or make a sound or anything. If it was just the not starting I would say there was probably a loose connection going to the starter, but what about when it just dies like this? If he waits some period of time then it will start right up. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 99, 06:59 AM
gil

I HAVE THE EXACT SAME TROUBLE IT DOES IT WHEN ITS OFF ALL THE SUDDE NOTHING I"VE REPLACEDALL KINDS OF STUFF STILL NO AVAIL IF YOU SOLVE IT LET ME KNOW I SUSPECT IGNITION
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 99, 05:29 PM

I had the same problem once with my 90 rs. I had just got it out of the shop and was driving when all of a sudden the steering wheel locked and the car died, then the key would not turn at all. I had put my car in the shop because the headlights were stuck on high beam and when I went to pick up the car, the battery was dead because they had left the headlights on. The tow truck driver seems to think that the ignition switch was loose because when we got back to the dealer, the car started just fine. The dealership tinks it may have been a freak accident, possibly due to the computer resetting from the dead battery. Anyway, it only happened that one time, so I have not thought much about it since.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old May 5th, 99, 04:34 AM
ICE

i have 90 camaro RS and I had several strange things happen. I replaced starter solenoid, relay switches, checked all the wiring and in the end it was the ign. switch and key. Once it was fixed all the strange problems I was having disappeared. Start at your switch and save trouble shooting time.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old May 5th, 99, 04:34 AM
ICE

i have 90 camaro RS and I had several strange things happen. I replaced starter solenoid, relay switches, checked all the wiring and in the end it was the ign. switch and key. Once it was fixed all the strange problems I was having disappeared. Start at your switch and save trouble shooting time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode