Tilt Column Loose - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 02, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

This is not Camaro related.My cousins 84 silverado p/u tilt column is loose around where it tilts,will wobble side to side.I think the bolts are loose,but don't know for sure.Any thoughts,and whats involved to fix it?

------------------
69 Camaro SS 350 4 speed
86 Monte Carlo SS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 02, 10:59 AM
Senior Tech

pull the wheel off, then the lock plate and the turn signal switch- and maybe the ignition lock cylinder. you should be able to get a socket down there now to tighten up the bolts that hold everything together. i have been told it is a good idea to put some loctite on them so they don't come out again.

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16X8" IROC wheels
see pics here http://community.webshots.com/user/novaderrik
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 02, 03:57 PM
Senior Tech
Joe

Youll need a special tool to pull the pins before you can tighten the bolts. Both Snap On and Matco have one for about $35 which are the only ones that I know of who sell that tool.

------------------
70 Camaro 307cid(350soon) /350th ex. dark purple (dark blue soon) in. black
74 Trans Am 400cid/th400 ex. red in. red power windows

[This message has been edited by Joekool1234567 (edited 01-16-2002).]

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 02, 11:35 PM
Senior Tech

which pins do you need to pull? i did this a few years ago on an 87 Caprice column, and didn't have to pull any pins at all. i couldn't get to one of the 3( i think) bolts, but the 2 i got tightened it up real nice. of course, i sold the car the column was in, and the guy that got it had problems with it loosening up about a month later.he'd hit a bump driving down the road, and the car would shut off. that's why i suggested the loctite, which i did not have at the time.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 02, 09:02 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Paul

To do it right, you should pull out the pins that top half of the column pivots on. Then, you can remove the top half of the column (the part that actually tilts) and remove the four bolts and loctite them.

Without ripping the pins out, you can get at two or three of the bolts and just sock 'em down. This usually works pretty good.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 02, 04:30 PM
Z28 Mark @home

Talking

I did it on my 88 Camaro IROC. You need pivot pin tool that Joecool talked about plus the hub / lock plate tool and a whole lot of patents to do the job. Also the Locktite sounds like a very good idea, although I did not do that because I was told that it was not a good idea to remove the Torx bolts for fear of dropping them into the steering column. Good Luck.
I also found a procedure on the Third Gen. Web page.
I also found both tools from a guy on this Team Camaro BB called “Mobile Tools”.
Mark (A.K.A. Z28 Mark)

[This message has been edited by Z28 Mark @home (edited 01-14-2002).]
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 02, 04:31 PM
Senior Tech
Joe

I know that matco and snap on have kits to service tilt columns. They both come with a steering wheel puller, lock plate tool, various bolts for different types of columns and the pin puller tool(you have to buy the pin tool seperate for snap on kit). Its not cheap though about $200 plus from snap on and a little less from matco.

I think book time calls for close to two hours to do the job if theres no air bag or other such obsticles.

------------------
70 Camaro 307cid(350soon) /350th ex. dark purple (dark blue soon) in. black
74 Trans Am 400cid/th400 ex. red in. red power windows
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode