89' camaro with electic fan prob - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 99, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

I have a 89' camaro and it has an electric fan in it. now what i am wondering is why for some reason it won't turn on unless the A/C is turned onto MAX. Then it works. I don't know if I have to leave it on the A/C or not but I do know that much. How can I fix the car so that the fan is running like it's supposed too?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 99, 03:57 AM
Senior Tech

These fans run from AC head pressure at about 235 psi and engine temp at 220 degress which is pretty hot. Have to cover front of radiator and let the engine get pretty hot to see if it is messed up. Runs off a temp sensor that sends signal to computer which sends signal to relay that controls the fan motor. Gets complicated. tom
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 99, 12:49 PM
Senior Tech

Most Gm cars are set so when you turn the air on, the cooling fans come on. Do you have an overheating problem?
The fans are set to come on somewhere around 235-240 degrees without the air on, and I think this is too hot. When the car was new, the temp would go up, the fans kick on, and the temp would drop to about 200. After the car ages a few years, the radiator gets some gunk in it, and the thing just doesn't cool like it should. Best thing to do is just leave the air on. The other alternative is to get a HyperTech chip that runs the fans at a cooler temp.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 99, 08:13 AM

you may have a bad coolent senser or a bad fan relay if one of these are bad the fan won`t work
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode