boggs then is fine - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 01, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Question

kay guys here goes,
I have a 350, mid cam, single plain intake (weiand x-celerator), points ignition, super comp headers, edelbrock 750 mech sec carb. Here's the problem.. when I accelerate from a stop it runs rough and it sluggish... when I stomp on it it bogs altogether. When I am cruising about 2000 rpm though and jump on it it pulls like no other, no hesitation or anything. Also if the car is in park I can rev the engine with no bog or anything at all. I've notices that my vaccuum advance is wabbling a little bit on my dist. Is this the problem? The points are pretty new, the wire are new.. what else should I check? Thanks ahead of time guys

-Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 01, 07:12 PM
Senior Tech

Spark advance will do that but, a single plane manifold does take away the bottom end. Dual plane is what I use since im not running in the 2700-6000 RPM range power band for a single plane. The dual sacrifices my top end but I like the launch from the stop light better. I'm using a Performer RPM.

------------------
68 RS red w/ white stripes
67 SS/RS restoring
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 01, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I don't think it's the manifold.. it was running awesome a short while ago. I wish I knew then what I knew now about intake manifolds when I built my engine. I have a dual plane sitting in my backyard. Edelbrock performer rpm.. if I have enough time over spring break that'll go on. Thanks and keep the suggestions coming

Tim

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 01, 04:48 AM
69 Man

It sounds like you may have the wrong power valve in the carb. You say it doesn't run good until 2000 rpm. The power valve may not be creating enough vacuum at the low rpm. I would try a 6.5 or higher for low vacuum signal. Also, your primary jets may be too high. Just a suggestion.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 01, 08:27 AM
Senior Tech

I did not know power valves were in the Edelbrock carbs? Enlighten me please.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 01, 08:46 AM
Senior Tech

I think I would take a much harder look at that vacuum advance. It should not wobble at all. After repairing the vacuum advance, take a look at your idle timing and full advance timing at around 3000 rpm.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 01, 09:18 PM
69 Man

Sorry, my mistake, the Edelbrock carb does not have power valves to my knowledge. I need to pay more attention to what I am reading. Your problem is probably in your timing. I would recurve the distributor first, because that would be the most cost effective thing to do, about 10 dollars. I would bring in the total advance at your stall speed, and end up with 36 degrees total timing, to see if that cures the bog. If it doesn't, you're not out much money.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 01, 04:12 AM

I tink you need a duel plane intake i got a 70 chevell that did the same thing . but make sure your timming is correct first
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 01, 04:13 AM

I Think not tink ha ha.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 01, 10:02 AM

in the long run after you solve the problem you should get an electronic ignition so you get enough spark at higher rpms. Also check the dwel and timing again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode