Edelbrock carb starting problem - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 03, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I recently installed an Edelbrock Performer manifold and Edelbrock 600cfm carb on my stock 327/210. Starts right up when cold, but when hot it takes a long time to start to the point where I'm afraid the battery is going to die. Only when I hold the pedal to the floor will it start.
The float levels and drops are right on spec. Thinking the fuel was boiling, I tried Edelbrock's carb insulator, which did nothing, and checked to make sure the fuel lines and filter weren't too close to the block, which they weren't.
In desperation, I installed a fuel regulator, because someone told me that Edelbrocks are sensitive to fuel pressure. That did nothing either, even though I tried every setting.
I'm at wit's end. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.

'67 Camaro Convertible Rally Sport<br />'03 Harley-Davidson Heritage Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 03, 05:16 PM

I recently had a similiar issue with my stock '69 Z. I increased the initial timing (from the factory 4 degress BTDC) a bit to obtain a better idle, and in the process adjusted the Holley DZ-4053 carb too.

After that I would often have difficulty starting it when it was hot (it always started instantly when cold), and when I had trouble starting it when it was hot, the only way to get it started was to hold the pedal to the floor and crank for 5 or 6 seconds, as if it were flooded.

Well, it turns out I had not set the idle mixture screws properly (they seem to be very sensitive to even an 1/8th of a turn on my Holley) and it was running way too rich, which was fine for cold starts, but problematic for hot starts. I cleaned out the idle circuit and readjusted the idle mixture screws, and now my hot start problems are gone.

I don't know if Edelbrock carbs are as sensitive as my Holley seems to be to the idle mixture, but you could be running a bit too rich, and that would give you the symptoms you are experiencing, as a rich mixture can cause hot start problems.

I know it's no fun to be in a grocery store parking lot cranking and cranking your classic first generation Camaro while some 17 year old hops in to a '95 Accord next to you and takes off while you're still cranking.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 03, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thanks SteveN. Thing is I've tried to lean out the idle mixture repeatedly to no avail. I do, however, seem to be getting some black marks on the garage floor that obviously point to a rich condition. So maybe I need to go back and adjust them from scratch again per the manual and see if that works. I'm pretty sure, though, that I set them correctly when I first installed the carb, but you never know. Anybody have another idea of what my problem could be?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 03, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Well, I tried adjusting the idle mixture screws again with no change. It does seem that, when hot, I can either hold the pedal to the floor or pump the pedal three or four times to get it to start.
Thing is, when the engine is cold I don't have to pump it all. It just starts right up.
Maybe I'm just creating a problem that doesn't exist. Is it normal to have to pump the gas more when the engine is hot?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 03, 12:29 PM
Senior Tech
Zach

possibly heat soak on the starter? just a thought. i have the same carb on my car and it starts similar to yours, just not that extreme. it starts right up when cold and needs to turn over a little before it fires when its hot. the weather has gotten a little cooler lately and that seems to make it better. could be the starter solenoid heating up and not providing enough voltage?

69 Camaro - LeMans blue w/ black vinyl top - 350/TH350
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 03, 04:46 PM
Senior Tech

My wifes 383 does the same thing. The guy I bought it from said to hold it to the floor and it will start everytime when hot. After a month of driving it I put the edelbrock carb from my car on it, we still have to hold the pedal to the floor. When the edelbrock was on my car it started the same, hot or cold.

jamie
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 03, 02:26 PM
Senior Tech
Royce

I am sure your problem is heat related. I bet if you touch that carb it will burn you when this is happening. I don't know what it is about the Edelbrock carb but, they do not like heat. I have seen this many times, the cure is to put a small 1/2" or so phenolic spacer between the carb and intake. The carb gets so hot it basically causes the fuel to evaporate. I am positive a spacer will cure your problem. I am not familiar with what the Edelbrock heat insulator is or is supposed to do. What is it made of? Anything other than wood or a phenolic material will probably not work. If it is akluminum it will just transfer the heat to the carb anyway.

P.S. Make sure the choke is functioning correclty as well.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 03, 02:32 PM

convert rs,
had problem with my 750 edelbrock similar to yours.make sure you have a vented gas cap . i
chg'd carbs,fuel pumps.still was same.good luck.
jerry
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 03, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thanks for the replies. I don't think it is heat soak on the starter. I have a high-torque starter and it spins just fine, even when hot.
I will attempt another heat spacer and let everyone know. I don't know if the Edelbrock spacer that I used was phenolic, but I will be sure the next one is.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode