Just dies - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 03, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

68 327 auto. The engine just seems to die at any rpm very intermittently. At low speeds while driving it just quits and will restart after about one or two cranks so I think it is not a fuel prob. At high speed it sputters like crazy and backfires and will sometimes clear up. I am a newbie so here is my best distrib description. Big round gray housing with a red top that has only the words latch on it. I can not find the mfg name. No coil. The plug wires are new and are the plugs. There have been no additions or mods that would cause this to just start happening... if there was I could back track a little. Where should I start trouble shooting this. You guys are the gurus but for some reason I think I have an elect prob. When restarting it, it seems to have fuel because it does not turn over for a long time prior to firing.

Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 03, 02:12 PM

i assume it's been changed to HEI since you cant see a coil.
i guess the first two things i'd check would be the vacuum advance on the distributer, and also the PCV valve and hose.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 03, 11:04 PM
Senior Tech

Drop by and I'll check it out. Oh sorry you aren't from anywhere visible.
Anyway try a flat head screw driver to remove the distributor cap. Then remove the rotor thing with a flat metal piece going to one side. Then check around under there for loose wires and such. Clips or whatever that are seposed to be secured but aren't. You can also poke around under the dash or where evver you care to look for goofy wiring.
What's an HEI right
If you don't have a wire coming out of the very center of your distributor cap then odds are it's an HEI distributor semi more prone to have electrical problems. Companies have replcacement guts for them that improve performance or you can change out the distributor for a good one. Don't just yank and plop another in. Get the manual like Chiltons camaro repair manual.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 03, 01:16 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Cool

Along with everything others here have suggested, I suggest to make sure the connections on the distributor cap are snapped in place and the wire crimps on the new terminals are tight. These wires would be the ones from the engine harness and from inside the cap to the four-prong connector on the driver side of the cap.

If this car has HEI, which by your description, it does, "LATCH", the power wire had to be changed from original wire. This original wire was/is a resistive wire from firewall connector on the other side of the brake master cylinder to the distributor. This wire had/has to be replaced with standard 12 gauge wire from the same point. Someone had to crimp/squeeze new terminals onto this wire. These are the ones I'm suggesting to check. Sometimes, a loose connection is made and another potential problem arises.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 03, 04:54 PM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

Angry

I had this very problem. In the HEI under the advance mechanisim there are wires and a module. One of the wire on mine was worn through the insulation. When the vacume advance came on and pulled the advance up it hit the wires bare spot and grounded out the ignition, thus shuting the car down, when it died sometimes it died and stalled. Other times it would die then back off the advance from the bare spot and it would take off again. I even got a backfire or two at higher speeds.

This thing drove me nuts for about a week. I would change out the HEI with another one and everything was fine. After about 4 tries I completely tore it apart and found the bare wire. I replaced it and never had another problem. I was then able to return the borrowed (working)HEI to my friend. Take a look it could happen twice, you never know.

Joe

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
Then, you have enough horsepower."
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 03, 01:45 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thanks again for your help guys. It turned out to be the "Control Module" in the distrib. I was told by several people they are known to act up.

Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode