Transmission Question - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 00, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

Question

Quick question....

I have an '84 with a standard v6 and automatic transmission. When i am driving it, it kicks when it shifts from 1st to 2nd and occasionally from 2nd - 3rd. I have checked the fluids, but don't know what else to do.
You will have to excuse my lack of knowledge, but i am just getting into this kinda of stuff. Is there anything else I could check? or is my transmission dying?

------------------
-Dan Taney
([email protected])
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 00, 03:58 PM

well I have a 85 v6 automatic and had a similar problem and it went away but months latter it really knocked hard in 1st gear so I talked to a transmision guy and said I had to get it rebuilt not sure if the two problems were related but I threw a rod a month ago and not sure what I'm going to do with my car now. Perfect body, new paint but bad Engine and drive train.

Automatic trannies are usually pretty hard when it comes to fixing your self most repair manuals say talk take it to a shop.

My tranny guy was nice and waved the usual $55 dollar fee to find out what is wrong with it and said it would cost $300 to repair it.

On another topic how many miles does your car have. Mine had 120,000 when it died. But I live in South Florida and ran it hard in the heat for last two years and my brothers had it before me and they had heavy foots too.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 00, 04:06 PM
Tech Team

Thumbs up

i would purchase a haynes repair manual, i dont exactly know what type of automatic you have but you could try changing the "modulator valve"(it is usually located on the outside of transmission and has a vacum hose running to it)and also i dont know if your year camaro has a computer? or not? good-luck...

------------------
70camaro(350)ground-up restification,350 slightly modified

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 00, 09:15 PM

I'm have a similar problem. My v6-1990 knocks in 1st and 2nd. It feels like the right wheel is slipping and then slams when it catches, but the left one doesn't ?

Anyone have a clue?.....I'm just starting to learn about tranies and rear ends, so any help would be greatly aprieciated.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 00, 03:41 AM
Senior Tech
Drake

Cool

I am not a trans. expert either.But from my expierience these are symptoms of either the modulator,or the downshift cable/linkage being way out of adjustment.So you might want to check both of these.When I put the engine back in my truck last year,I took it for a test drive without the cable hooked up.It would wind waaaay out in 1st gear,then slam into 2nd,it sounds alot like what some of you described.I also put a new trans in my 67 last year.A TH350 in place of the PG,the trans also shifted very early,about 2500 RPM at WOT,and way to hard.Until I adjusted the cable properly.
I don't know if this fits your application(you did'nt mention what tranny your running),but if you do have a vacume modulator,also make sure the vacume line is even connected.Sometimes they can get burnt on exhaust pipes,or pinched,or come off the modulator.This will have the same effect on the shifting as the downshift cable.GOOD LUCK!

------------------
67 RS RAGTOP # matching, 4X4 CHEVY TRUCK

[This message has been edited by 67drake (edited 01-29-2000).]
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 00, 05:21 AM Thread Starter

Ok, after some more careful investigating, i have discovered the folowing:

What will happen is (and i don't have a tach, so this is just by ear) the rpms on the engine will shoot up really high, then the car will buck into 2nd gear.

The buck is much LESS noticeable when i floor it from a complete stop. If i slowly accelerate from a complete stop, the buck is much more noticable.

I know that there is a detaunt? cable involved in when the car shifts, is it possible that this cable is kinked or damaged?

BTW, I don't know much about trannys. As far as i know it is the 'stock' tranny that came with the car.

Thanks for all of your help so far. This info should help narrow the problem. Thanks again.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 00, 05:59 AM
Senior Tech
Drake

Wink

This is exactly how mine was acting.This cable is adjustable though,if that is the cause.Like was mentioned above,a Chiltons or Haynes manual will cover your adjustment steps.I would visually inspect it to see if it is even connected,or for obvious damage.
One thing I do want to mention though.If you are new to the world of cars,they can seem overwhelming and confusing,I have been around them for a few years,but learn new things about them everyday.In my opinion 95% of problems are usually simple things that can be fixed usuing common sense,visual clues,a manual,and the right person to ask.I wish I had on line help years ago when I did some of my projects.Don't let trannys intimidate you!Short of a total rebuild,most people can do these fixes at home,and thats how you learn!
Like I said I'm no expert,but I always know more than I did yesterday.

------------------
67 RS RAGTOP # matching, 4X4 CHEVY TRUCK

[This message has been edited by 67drake (edited 01-29-2000).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode