cooling - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old May 14th, 99, 07:24 AM Thread Starter

novice-put a 350 in an 84 camaro. Cant keep car under 240 degrees. way too hot. heat from headers is killing my starters and electric fan just is not doing the trick.
Could you give me an idea if its possible to put in a flex fan? do aftermarket shrouds exist? Where? also, heatshield for starter i bought wont fit? need of help bad?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old May 14th, 99, 09:00 AM

240 IS TOO HOT!!!!!
Somethings not working right. Check your thermostat: put a cooler unit in or check for operation of existing unit by dropping it in hot water and observe the movement. Your rad might be toast or rad fluid may not be any good. You can also put a higher pitch fan in there. You can get your headers ceramic coated. The shop that did mine promised that it would reduce the heat in the engine compartment by 40%. It seems to realy help. If this is too much money you can tape the headers. You can also put a higher pitch fan in there but the real problem is that the engine is still too hot.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old May 14th, 99, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

thanks for your reply!? might be a shot radiator. come to think of it- hasn't been changed since 84---time to go?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old May 14th, 99, 01:44 PM
Bill

salopris,
If you are using the stock GM fan sending unit, it turns the fan on at 240 degrees. Hypertech makes a fan switch that will turn the fan on at around 180. Try turning the AC on, if so equipped. That should turn the fan on at any temp. If the car runs cooler with the AC (and fan) running, then you know that is your problem. I used a 84 Z-28 aluminum radiator and electric fan on my 67 Camaro drag car for many years and could not make it run hot if I wanted to so the radiator is up to the task of cooling the 350, as long as it is not all clogged up.
Most people do not realize that the new motors are run that hot for higher efficiency.
Hope this helps,

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old May 14th, 99, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

Thanks a mill for the advice. So your saying that an aluminum radiator combined with a good fan should do the trick regardless what size motor?! Thats great news. I'm going to throw in a radiator and a real fan as my last resort. I was going to give up and buy a car but if you drove my Z the way its set up you'd see why i dont want to let her go. Thanks.
P.S. what can i do about keepin heat off my starters. bought 3 in the last year.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old May 16th, 99, 06:48 AM

chevy lover & camaro owner-sounds ruthless,but i put a ford sol. on my '72 and have'nt had any(none) problems starting my ride.hopes this helps.
mark pruitt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode