headache money pit on my iroc-z! - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 03, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

hi there, i have my 89' camaro iroc-z since 92' i had the motor rebuilt 3 yrs ago, and now this frickin' car isnt runnin ' the way it's suppost to! it is lacking power ugh!! what 's causing the car to lack power??? i also need an EGR valve to be replaced, makes weird noise like if it's ticking a valve!! could that be it? ticking a valve?? guess i need a compression test done huh? every time i fix this or that, something else is wrong grrrrrrrrrrrr i'm am sick of it. i was told by guys which i am a female and of course guy mechanic shops love to rip women off! i was told it was gonna cost me $500.00 bucks to replace the EGR valve, replace new tranny pans, other pan, and says that i have a power steering leak under neath the car, power leakage is not icluded to the 500 dollar estimate! please help any advices anyone ??? i love my car , and people are telling me to get rid of it, and i am attached to this car
rockin' z lover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 03, 03:07 PM
Senior Tech

First of all don't put the power stearing stop leak fluid in. It just softens the seals making them swell which temporarily semi stops leaks but gives you one big leak after a while any place there are seals. If the guys who rebuilt your engine didn't have a check the seals and bolt torque check that's wrong. Then unless you have ripped holes in your transmissions bottom I don't see replacing the covers if that's what they are talking about. If they are leaking just take a wrench to them and don't tighten too tight. If you change an automatic trans filter there is sometimes a gasket for the pan. The oil pan gasket is cheap also. The cheapest quick garage for a car is pulling one side up on the curb, set the parking brake and block the tires. I'd figure buying the repair manual and parts and all the work after stops at a parts store would be under $100-$200. But then I don't know how much an EGR valve is.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 03, 03:59 PM
Senior Tech

knowledge is power. learn to do as much as you can, and when you do need to farm out the labor to a shop who thinks that you are just an ignorant woman, you can put them in their place and save a few bucks. the best way to learn is to hang out with people who know what's what. there are a lot of folks on here from Cali that would be more than happy to help out a fellow Chevy enthusiast in need, without the usual reasons guys help women work on cars, if you know what i mean. if i wasn't up here in MN, i would try to help you out for little or no repayment. i just like working on cars.

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16X8" IROC wheels. 12" Corvette brakes on the way.
see dirty pics here of a car that gets driven http://community.webshots.com/user/novaderrik

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 03, 06:17 AM
Senior Tech

Get a mechanic "boyfriend" then your automotive problems will be solve

Works for my wife

------------------
Drew

99' GMC P/U
69' Camaro X-11 350/T350,AC,PS,PB, 12 Bolt
96' 17' CC KEY WEST w/85 Yamaha (has shark fins on the sides like the 69')
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 03, 07:53 PM
Tech Team

Thats quite a bit of money for an EGR Valve job. I replaced my EGR valve on my 76 camaro and spent $50 for the egr valve, plus some sealer and a gasket which was a few dollars. The EGR or Emission Gas Regulator, sits on the intake manifold, and was fairly easy to change out. The tranny pan on the other hand is not too hard, but can be messy and take longer, A gasket set can be had for 12 dollars with the filter and gasket. They are trying to make money on labor probably. I would call other places and ask around about the time needed to install an egr valve or tranny pan gasket and price per hour. I took about 20 minutes to change my EGR Valve, and about 1 hour to change the tranny pan gasket and filter. Good luck, hope this helps
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 03, 02:21 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Paul

The EGR valve on that IROC, assuming it has TPI, is under the intake manifold plenum box, and it definitely isn't a 20 minute install!!

Having run a large shop, I can tell you that: If ya don't know how to fix your own car, then your gonna be at the mercy of the people that can. This doesn't mean that everyone is out to screw you, but this is how they make their living, and the only guy who knows what was included in the estimate is the guy who wrote it. If your not happy with the estimate, drag the car to the guy down the road and get a second opinion.

As for the cost, and affording it, the saying around our shop was: "we fix cars, not lives"!

Money Pit! This car is 14 or 15 years old and some stuff is gonna break. I owned an '85 IROC new, and the monthly payments were almost as much as what this repair is gonna cost. Cars aren't free to own!

BTW, EGR stands for Exhaust Gas Recirculation.

[This message has been edited by PDQUICK (edited 02-13-2003).]
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 03, 02:56 PM
Senior Tech

egr stands for Exhaust Gas Recirculation. It's technical definition is "it decreases flame temperature by reducing oxides of nitrogen", or in lamens terms, it takes nitro out of the exhaust and puts it back in the cylinder. sometimes, the valve itself is'nt bad, just dirty with carbon and can be cleaned with a $2 can of carb cleaner. i'm not saying that is what the problem is, but it is feasible. sometimes, these mechanics will tell you, in your case, the valve itself is bad when it could only be a disconnected vaccum hose at the EGR solenoid. they get the extra money because a TPI EGR valve job is about a 2 or 3 hour job. at $50 an hour, it adds up quick when they actually only spent 5 seconds on it reconnecting the hose. i'm not saying that is what all mechanics do, but it is not uncommon. as for the power steering, without a decent knowledge of this system, tackling the problem is hard to do. i hope you find someone who can fix your car, or you do it yourself, but if you have any questions, ask us. someone on this site will know the answer. good luck!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 03, 02:58 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Paul

nate,

Your pretty close but this is the way that the EGR system works:

Nitrogen is generally considered inert in that it doesn't get "reacted" or "burned" in the combustion process. When combustion temperatures are extremely high, as in modern engines, some of the nitrogen in the intake air does get "reacted" and forms harmful, ozone depleting oxides of nitrogen. The EGR system introduces a small amount of exhaust gas to dilute the incoming air fuel mixture. This makes the combustion slightly less efficient, but reduces the combustion temperature to the point where the nitrogen doesn't get "reacted". This makes the EPA happy!

Don't forget that on old cars the EGR valves actuator diaphragm sometimes rips requiring replacement of the valve. Also, if I were to spend 3 hours replacing that valve, I would bang in a brand new one for $50 to prevent having to eat the whole job as a "come back" a month later.

just my $.02

Paul D.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 03, 04:18 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Paul

Wow, I sounded like kind of an a$$ in those last two posts!

Appologies in advance, didn't mean to sound like a jerk but I think I did!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode