major electrical problem!!!!! HELP PLEASE!! - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 02, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

I ran my 69 camaro the other day every thing was fine when i got home my wife noticed my taillights were not functioning?? so i went to change the fuse and when i pulled it out the fuse box pulled out a small ways with it ?? you could see where it had been cracked at the 2 bolt mounts?? where it had been taped in place??? anyway I put in the new fuse and placed the box back in where it was and now I have NO power to anything????? ANY HELP would be appreciated!!!! is the box grounded through those mounting bolts or something?? thanks for any suggestions!!!!!!!!! the freak
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 02, 04:37 PM
XK1
Senior Tech

See if you can get a small mirror and flashlight and look behind it. Sounds like a wire or wires pulled out when it came loose.

------------------
76 Camaro/mild 350 .030/M21/Z28 body parts/lotsa other goodies
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 02, 04:51 PM
Senior Tech

One of the firewall wiring harness plugs in the engine compartment probably got jiggled loose. Look in the engine compartment underneath the driver's side hood hinge down by where the fuse box is. You'll see two wrapped bundles of wires with two plastic rectangular plugs. One is for the engine harness and one is for the front light harness. The front light harness wiring bundle has the power feed line from the battery that powers the entire car, and this wiring bundle goes up through the driver's side fender. I would venture to say that this plug got jiggled loose when you pulled the fuse box out a little ways - these plugs actually plug into the back of the fuse box. I'd unplug it and plug it back in, making sure the locking tabs fully catch. Good luck.

------------------
Justin Traunero
[email protected]

-1967 Camaro SS350 clone - 350/TH-350 with shift kit, CompCams XE268H, Dynomax Jet-Hot headers, Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust, Vintage Air

-2002 Impala LS - Medium Bronzemist Metallic, every option except engine block heater

<A HREF="http://www.furman.edu/~jtrauner" TARGET=_blank>Click here to see my Camaro and my parents' 2002 Impala LS.
</A>

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 02, 05:03 PM
Senior Tech

The two harnesses do plug into the fuse box on the engine side just as jrt67ss350 said. I can't imagine that one of them had pulled loose since they are held onto the fuse block with a bolt. You probably won't see the bolt since it is recessed between the two bundles of wires. I would first check to ensure that the bolt is there and tight. If it isn't, then the wires probably did get pulled loose from the fuse block. If it is there and tight....well, I don't know.
Hope this helps.

Bob

P.S. - Just thought of something else... Did you check the inline fuse between the + side of the battery and the junction block on the radiator support?? It should be behind your battery. Just a thought.

[This message has been edited by 68BB427 (edited 04-15-2002).]

[This message has been edited by 68BB427 (edited 04-15-2002).]
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 02, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

thanks everyone for he tips !!! hey BB68 I was checking for that fuse behined the battery and found no fuse between the battery + to the block fuse on rad. support !! Should there be one there?? and how big of a fuse??? I did find the problem the battery pinched the post lead just before that fuse box and shorted out the wire!! i replaced it without a fuse and I do have lights acc. etc.. should i put an inline fuse there???????? thanks
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 02, 04:08 PM
Team Member
John

The flexy small brown wire from the positive battery terminal to the plastic junction block in front of the battery IS a fuse - it's a fusible link, designed to melt in the event of a dead short in that main power feed circuit. When a fusible link melts, it's history - you'll need a new positive battery cable with the new fusible link on it to restore proper circuit protection.

------------------
JohnZ
CRG
'69 Z28 Fathom Green
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 02, 04:14 PM
Senior Tech

There should be a fusible link between the batt and block on the rad support If not The fuse link is 2 sizes bigger than the wire going to the block 10 gauge wire equals a 8 gauge fuse link
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 02, 06:43 PM
Senior Tech

Thanks JohnZ and Clash69, guess I should have called it what it is, a fusible link. Sorry if I caused any confusion.

Bob

[This message has been edited by 68BB427 (edited 04-16-2002).]
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 02, 10:05 AM
Team Member
John

Actually, the fusible link wire is 14 gauge. Fusible links are always two wire sizes smaller (physically), not larger, than the circuit they protect (so they'll melt first); the 14-gauge Camaro fusible link protects a 10-gauge main power feed wire. Wires are only sized in even numbers, and as the numbers get larger, the wires get smaller.

------------------
JohnZ
CRG
'69 Z28 Fathom Green
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 02, 03:18 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Garage
69 must have the bolt holding the lighting and engine harness? my 67 just has two plastic tabs on each plug?
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 02, 01:38 PM
Team Member
John

That's right - be careful not to break the locking tabs off if you need to remove the connectors, as the tabs are molded as part of the fuse block.

------------------
JohnZ
CRG
'69 Z28 Fathom Green
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode