RS headlight covers open/close when car is started - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old May 7th, 01, 05:01 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

I did a search and couldn't find this one. I've got a new project, a 69 (thanks Clill!!). I've done some mods to the car (big surprise!), and now after getting it back together every time you start the car the headlight doors open. By the time you get half a block away or so they're closed again and will remain closed for as long as the car is running. This is all without turning on the lights. The hoses appear to be correct as they work normally by the light switch. I just don't understand why they have to open/close every time I start the car during the day.

I'm guessing it's a vacuum problem as this is a ZL-1 clone and I've swapped a mechanical roller cam and EFI into it. But I'd bet the vacuum is better than the factory camshaft had as the doors work easier and quicker than when I got the car a month ago.

Do they use vacuum to hold the doors closed? They will remain closed for as long as I don't start the car. Then they open and eventually close again, quicker if I am driving down the road (higher vacuum I assume).

Any ideas?

Jody

Here's some pic of the mods before and after; I've only had the car a month or so. The 17" wheels and tires are on, pulled the engine to detail, swap cam, install EFI, swap original A/C for Vintage Air set-up. I have the 13"/12" Baer brake set-up but it isn't installed yet. It goes on the chassis dyno this week. By the way the car is bright yellow but my digital camera makes it look cream color for some reason!
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...a=12429973&f=0

[This message has been edited by Camcojb (edited 05-07-2001).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old May 7th, 01, 02:44 PM
Senior Tech

There is a sliding valve control on the vac resevoir. Make sure that it is in the correct position.

I was working on my car last year and by accident moved it to the wrong position. Same thing happened.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old May 7th, 01, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

Thanks, but it appears to be in the correct position. I thought it takes vacuum to open and vacuum to close them so I don't understand how this is happening without turning on the lights, thus switching the vacuum control.

Jody

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old May 7th, 01, 05:14 PM
Senior Tech
Carl

Jody,

I was drooling when Charlie had yours on ebay awhile back. Now I'm jealous. It's a great car.

dale69z's answer to a question last week might help. It does require vacuum applied to the vacuum relay to keep the doors closed. Perhaps it could be one of these:

Kinked, cracked, or broken vacuum line to the headlight switch.

Leaky headlight vacuum switch.

Kinked, cracked, or broken vacuum line from the headlight switch to the vacuum relay.

Defective vacuum relay.

If there is a slow leak in one or more of these components perhaps it takes a few minutes to get the relay to activate. It doesn't take much to make it work.

Try disconnecting and plugging the vacuum line to the top of the relay. Replace it with another line running to manifold vacuum. If the lights stay shut it's something before the relay. If it still acts up it's likely the relay.

You could always send that car to my house for a couple of weeks to let me diagnose the problem

Good luck

------------------
The Red Beast http://www.geocities.com/casanoc

[This message has been edited by CarlC (edited 05-07-2001).]
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old May 7th, 01, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

Thanks Carl. This gives me a start. They don't open sitting for days on end, only when the engine is fired. I'll figure it out, just hoping for a direction.

The car is very nice and I'll have to keep it forever since I have so much invested in it!! I've always wanted a 69 RS so I'm very happy.

Jody
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old May 7th, 01, 05:55 PM
Senior Tech
Carl

Jody,

Just to clarify...

Nothing happens unless the engine is running. Vacuum is required to open and close the doors.

Vacuum is not required to keep the doors closed. That's why they stay closed when the engine is off.

The engine must be running, and no vacuum applied to the small line on the top of the relay, to open the doors. That little slide switch on top of the relay just turns the little vacuum line on top of the relay on and off.

Vacuum at the top of the relay is required to keep the doors closed while the engine is running.

------------------
The Red Beast http://www.geocities.com/casanoc
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old May 7th, 01, 06:19 PM
Senior Tech
Dale

I would have to think ,the vacuum canisters are getting vacuum before the top of the control valve.Maybe the hose to/from the head light switch is restrictedin some way.Pull off the hose at the control valve,and the Tee.With the headlights off try to blow thru the hose.There should be no restriction.Plug one end and suck the other,it should hold vacuum.Where are you pulling your headlight supply vacuum?It should be from a Tee between the resivoir,and control valve.

------------------
68 z28 ,68 rs 327 ,73 454 vette, 2 goofy kids
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old May 8th, 01, 05:12 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

I'll have time to mess with it today. Thanks for the info guys. If it takes vacuum at the top port to keep them closed while running then probably due to the lower vacuum of the roller cam they initially open and then close again once the vacuum raises (driving down the road). I thought of this at first it's just that I didn't understand how the doors open when the car is started if there's no vacuum being applied (supposedly).

I've got a vacuum pump and I'm going to figure this out! It just seems that if it takes vacuum to open them then I'm getting vacuum when I start the car, or LOSING vacuum when I start the car.

Jody
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode