battery getting sucked:-(68 camaro - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 00, 02:12 AM Thread Starter

Angry

i have a 68 camaro almost done except for the fact that it is sucking the juice from the batery overnight.new battery and 2nd one.
i took the wire for the lights lose from the battery and it still sucked all the juice .........lost and don't know what to do....please help.....p.s. i am a poor poor man!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 00, 04:08 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

You need to isolate the circuit causing the drain. Start by disconnecting the battery and connecting an ohm meter across the terminals. You will see very low resistance. You then want to go to the fuse box and remove fuses one at a time, checking to see which fuse causes the resistance to increase. That will be the culprit. Once you've isolated the circuit, you then need to find the offending item. Post more info and I can be more help. Blown diodes in alternators ( if you've upgraded ), grounded ignition switches or voltage regulators are some of the more common causes. The hot lead from your battery goes to a post on the radiator support which then goes directly to the horn relay. Interesting setup.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 00, 04:08 AM
Senior Tech

Take the positive batery terminal loose and put a continuity test light fromthe cable to the positive battery terminal. If the light is lit you have a short somewhere. Start pulling fuses one at a time until the light goes out and you have found the troublesome circuit. Now all you have to do is check the the connections and and wiring on that circuit. Do not discount the Alternator make sure the diode in the regulator is good .

------------------
68 RS, Ash Gold,pwr windows,Hounds tooth

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 00, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

Wink

just some more info....it has a late model 350 crate motor in it.it has a newer alt. i guess and i have wired straight to it rather then going through the voltage regulater.it had the same problem before i did that and i thought i was fixing it.i have checked it and the car is charging opn the money.the ground off the battery is going to the alternator bracket.someone said if i had a ground problem they would thank my lights would be alittle dime but the are not.not sure if that is good advice.not a mechanic and don't claim to be.but willing to give it my all.this is the last hurdle i have to cross to finish my dream.any more info needed just ask away.
lugmiester
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 00, 08:56 AM
Senior Tech

If you would try using the light method and disconnect the alternator then look at the light. Is it still lit? If it went out something in that circuit is grounded. If it is still lit leave the alternator disconnected and go to the fuse box and start pulling fuses one at a time, checking the light after each fuse to see if it went out. It does work, and it does not matter what motor you have.

------------------
68 RS, Ash Gold,pwr windows,Hounds tooth
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 00, 11:51 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

The process is really straight forward on the early cars. You certainly don't want to just replace parts. I had a similiar problem and it was a diode.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 00, 03:53 PM
Tech Team

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lugnut:
it has a newer alt. i guess and i have wired straight to it rather then going through the voltage regulater.
lugmiester
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What do you mean by "newer"? Is it the "new style" with the internal voltage regulator or the "old style" with an external voltage regulator?

------------------
"Laissez Le Bon Temp Rouler' Cha!"

"Jungle" Jim
Team Chevelle
70SS396 & 70 Malibu
"I don't drive FAST, I just FLY low!"
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 00, 02:28 AM Thread Starter

Wink

it is the new style with the internal voltage regulator.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 00, 05:47 PM
Senior Tech

I had a similar problem that drove me nuts for months. I changed (altenator, voltage reg., coil, front and engine wire harnesses)a lot of new parts. It came down to the horn contacts in the steering wheel. The horn worked as it should have, but the contacts stayed connected and thus the battery drain. No problems since putting in the new contacts, and this was a cheap fix.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode