355 running hot - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 02, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

I have a 350 slightly modified in a 1970 Camaro. I have a Griffen aluminum radiator, 165 high flow thermostat, edelbrock waterpump, and black magic electric fan and an MSD 6AL Ignition system. Running initial advance at 8 degrees with maximum advance around 38-40. Problem is, when running down the road, this thing stays cool. When idling, the car gets hot. Hot enough to put coolant in the catch can. Thought this might be either a cracked head or bad head gasket, but don't seem to be loosing coolant, don't have any bubbles in the radiator, and no excessive moisture out the exhaust. Have tried a larger crankshaft pulley to spin the H2O pump faster, doesn't make a difference. Have also tried a flex fan and no changes. Carb is adjusted correctly so don't think this is a lean condition at idle. Plugs look good, slightly brown. Don't know what else to try. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 02, 02:15 PM
Senior Tech

Since you've checked everything I could think of, and your car only gets hot at idle, do you have a fan shroud? If not, that is probably the problem. You said you've tried a flex fan, what fan are you normally running, stock? Something else that may affect the cooling is the distance between your fan and the radiator.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 02, 03:44 PM
Senior Tech

how's the clutch on the fan? if the blades keep spinning after the thing is shut off, get a new one.

how bad does it boil over? it is normal for a little bit of coolant to go to the overflow- that is what it is for. gives the coolant someplace to expand and not get puked out.

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16X8" IROC wheels. 12" Corvette brakes on the way.
see pics here http://community.webshots.com/user/novaderrik

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 02, 05:17 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
If you didn't have so much total advance I'd recomend kicking the initial up to the 12-14 deg range. The shroud and fan placement within it is important to insure good air flow at idle. The 160 stat may not be giving the fluid in the system a chance to sit in the radiator long enough to make it effective at drawing heat when back in the block. Once it opens it's almost like not having a stat at all if the temp doesn't drop enough to close it. Try a 180 Mr Gasket (Robert Shaw) and see if that helps. Also make sure you have a good rad cap rated at about 15 psi.

------------------
...Dennis
"The '69, the '96 & the club"
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 02, 05:41 AM
Senior Tech

Even with a new cap Have it pressure checked. Any shop can do it Its most likely free or cheap. I have seen new caps fail!!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 02, 02:40 PM
Senior Tech

DJD has good advice, run full time vacuum advance which helps your engine cool at idle. 10 initial, 10 vacuum advance and mid 30s total.

The heat transfer hardware sounds good, I am not excited about the Black Magic fan or the flex fan you descibed.

I have tested the black magic fan and it does not put out the CFMs that they claim. It is a marginal product at best. It won't cool you in your location in the summer I can tell you.

My suggestion is to buy the best electric fan for your application which is the Spal 16" hipo fan. That should be enough for your application, but if you have air, and I suspect you do or want it, or just want more CFMs , buy the twin Spal 11" units. I will assure you that will do it.

If you are a junk yard guy...look for Lincoln Mark 8 or dual windstar fans. They are good airmovers as well.

If you don't have any space at the top of your radiator in the tank, the radiator will commonly push coolant out to a level where it becomes operational, this is especially true if you fill then run hot then push out coolant then fill again etc.

How much antifreeze are you running. Too much antifreeze will PREVENT GOOD COOLING AND IN FLORIDA, ALL YOU NEED IS ANTICORROSION PROTECTION.

More on cooling at my cooling tips forum at www.inccn.net/techforum.htm enjoy.

------------------
STEVE JACK
ConceptOne Pulleys and Brackets

[This message has been edited by HOTRODSRJ (edited 03-15-2002).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode