q-Jet trouble - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 03, 07:49 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I have an 83 camaro with a 305 and man. tranny 4 barrel carb

this is whats up:

I can't get a diagnostic reading from the computer
The engine light is always on.
I feel like Im in a v6
and Im burning gas like a 427

I've replace the distribitor cap and rotor, and have new spark Plug wires.

Any help would be appreciated

'83 Camaro 283 punched .030 over mild cam 305 heads. Highrise intake, holley 570cfm. Posi 3.73s. Manual tranie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 03, 12:08 PM
Senior Tech
Don

With the key to the on position, engine not running, do you hear a ticking noise from the carb for about 30 seconds?

That would be the mixture control solenoid operating. It's a place to start.

Don ~ TC Member #15 ~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don't mess with Texas!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 03, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

You know what, I think I remember it ticking before, it doesnt tick anymore.

'83 Camaro 283 punched .030 over mild cam 305 heads. Highrise intake, holley 570cfm. Posi 3.73s. Manual tranie.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 03, 05:52 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Your '83 305ci made a wapping 150 hp from the factory most modern V6's make that or more... The computers were really bad back then so you may be chasing your tail over dirty or loose connections. Unless your carb is new it may need going through or replacement before you see an better mileage. Don't expect much though... Driving habits play a big part in fuel economy too!!

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 03, 06:17 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

what I mean by bad gas mileage is like 5 or 6 miles to the gallon, I usd to get 16 a month ago.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 03, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

so should that ticking noise be there then?

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 03, 05:44 PM
Senior Tech
Don

Yeah, the ticking should be there.

One quick thing you could do is, on the front top of the carb, you will see a "tower" with 2 holes that look like cats eyes. Take a small screwdriver, and stick it into one of the holes, and you should feel a spring loaded piece in there.
That goes up and down when running.

Also be sure to check the blue connector that goes into the MC solenoid for good contact.

It sounds like the MC solenoid is not working.

Don ~ TC Member #15 ~

Don't mess with Texas!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 03, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I dont recognise this "tower" is it right in front of the primaries (not the secondaries).
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 03, 12:44 PM
Senior Tech
Don

Yeah, it's on front of the primaries, near the choke horn.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 03, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

i stuck a screwdriver in there, and there is some spring movement. No ticking though. Should I try adjusting that spring while the engine is idling? I would be afraid to cause it's backfiring from the extra gas. I've noticed two things though, a wire that goes from the alternator through the fire wall is broke, and some other wire by the carb thats broke, maybe I should send a pic. By the way, how much would a solenoid be. Can I just pull one out of any eltronic feedback q-jet?

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 03, 10:24 AM
Senior Tech
Don

The solenoid is about $50, but the circuit should be checked first. They take a little time to change.

If you could send a pic, that's cool.>

[email protected]
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 03, 12:59 PM
Senior Tech

Measure the resistance of the mixture solenoid. I don't know what the spec is. I'd guess somewhere between 8 and 30 ohms. If the solenoid is bad, it will most likely measure open. If you see some resistance there and no ticking, sounds like the computer isn't commanding the solenoid. You can back probe the solenoid with the ignition on. You should see somewhere between 1 and 4 volts on a DC volt meter. If not, start tracing back toward the computer.

Electrical connections are responsible for about 90% of the engine control problems in the early years. Check for broken wires, loose terminals and bad grounds also.

-dnult

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 03, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

i need a new harness probably!!! Lol. Yeah I can also check the voltage to see how much gas its dumping in, my Haynes book has the specs on that... But I dont think that book has my carb. I'll check that stuff out and let you know.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 03, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Maybe I should just buy this chevy 283 thats rebuilt. Its 400 bucks. ANy suggestions on a good manual feedback 4 bbl carb for it?
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 03, 03:41 AM
Senior Tech

I would suggest that you computer is down as well. Even with a bad mc SOLENOID You should still be able to access data stream.

67 Blown Alcohol Camaro "The Combat Rat" 8-71 and E-85/71 BB SS Chevelle "cheap street" (clone) 12.871 @ 107.59 w/1.915 60' and spinning /2002 35th anniv SS Z28 conv./74 454 El Camino .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode