engine hard to start - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old May 21st, 01, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

have been troubleshooting my daughter's 89
RS 2.8 camaro. It had several problems from
previous owner - wrong belt because of
missing backet and pully and cracked
insulation at distributor.These have been fix. Anyway main problem is engine very hard
to start. Tried turning distributor
to fine best spot - once started will idle
at 1000 rpm and seem to idle OK but
sometimes it idles at 750-800 rpm and idles rough. Still hard to start. Been using
Chilton's GM repair manual to troubleshoot
the problem but it does not give any info on
the ECM which I suspect is the problem.
No trouble codes. Any good web sources for info in ECM or diaginostic ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old May 21st, 01, 01:07 PM
Senior Tech
John

Welcome to the site.

I don't know too much about the later model Camaros, but have you ruled out the possibility of a fuel supply problem? My family minivan had some probs that went away with some injector cleaner. It also had a separate problem in starting and staying running that turned out to be a clogged fuel sock in the gas tank. Just ideas, hope you figure it out.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old May 21st, 01, 07:09 PM
Senior Tech
Dale

You really need to set the timing with a light.Is the problem that it cranks over slow,or just takes a long time to start?

------------------
68 z28 ,68 rs 327 ,73 454 vette, 2 goofy kids

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old May 21st, 01, 07:46 PM
Leo

If I were working on a hard start problem I would install a fuel pressure gage in the fuel rail and check the pressure. I can't be sure without looking it up but most fuel injection cars require about 45 lbs of pressure just to get it started. Don't take the number to the bank be sure and get the fuel preesre from a book.I will also say the computer is probably ok if your light stays off. Most people want to cull out the computer only to find out its ok. Good luck.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 01, 04:55 AM Thread Starter

Smile

Thank you all for your advice. Seem I should look at the fuel supply. Although I have used starting fluid and it still
hard to start. But once it kicks in- that it seems to start I have to pump the gas pedel like mad to get it to
start and once started if it idles at 1000 RPM it runs fine but if it idles at 750 RPM it stalls. At 750 RPMs I have to
make sure to keep the gas pedel slighly down so that it idles above 750 RPM. But it seem odd that the book specifies idle
speed is 700 RPM for this AT.

dale68z: it seem to take a long time to start. I have try the timing light but I think I had the timing advance enabled
because the timing mark was way above TDC. It seemed to be 75 degrees BTDC. I followed the book's instruction to disable it
but not sure it did. No matter where I put the timing mark it still hard to start.

Thanks again all - this seems to be the best web site that I have found for troubleshooting advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode