HELP! installing GM HEI distributer in 67 RS - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 00, 03:30 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Angry

Hello,

Currently I am stuck. I am "Attempting" to update my old points distributer with a GM hei unit, purchased new for a 74 Camaro , I have all the correct parts, (coil, cap,roter,disributer) my engine (327) was in pieces, I recently put it back together. the old wires were everywhere, HOW do I hook this thing up.. ? i see one wire near the distributer that looks like a C connector, (that would go to the condenser in the old distributer) do I use this one for the BAT side? I dont have a tach, and the new distributer is supposed to be internally grounded. but I will run a regular ground wire also..I was going to run a hot wire from the battery, but then didnt want to have the coil constantly hot. help me camaro guru's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 00, 03:50 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

HEI is pretty easy, there is a very good article on it in the tech info section on this www. The quick and dirty: Original had an external coil with a + and a - connection. The Dist (points and condensor) connected to the -. (the tach, too) the + had 2 wires, one from the "I" term on the solenoid, one from the firewall. The HEI has 2 connectors on the side of the cap, labelled BAT and TACH. Discard the original wire from the starter. The original wire from the firewall is a resistence wire. Cut it 3" from the fuseblock and solder on a length of 12 guage wire. Run this wire to the HEI and crimp on a 1/4" spade terminal to connect it to the BAT terminal. You may have to "adjust" your firewall a bit for clearance.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 00, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

thanks! I will try it tomorrow morning!I have the wire and the spade clips. hopefully all will go well...

thank you again!

Chris

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 00, 02:53 PM
Senior Tech
Carl

If you have a self-serve junkyard in your area, find a GM car with a similar body style and an HEI ignition. Remove the engine wiring harness and unwrap it. You only need the section from the HEI to the firewall so you can cut it out of the car as necessary.
Remove any sealant covering the wires as they enter the firewall plug. Using a very small flat-bladed screwdriver (eyeglass size), insert the blade just under the firewall plug wire for the + side of the ignition. This will release the wire from the firewall plug. Practice on a few of the other wires first so you can get the feel for how they remove. Now you have a splice-free wire to work with. Install this new wire into your orignal points wire location on your firewall plug and reseal the wire with silicone. Once you get the hang of it it will be very easy. You may want to buy the whole harness and use the extra wiring for future accessories since there are extra locations on the firewall connections that you can use, instead of drilling holes, to pass wiring through.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 00, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thumbs up

It worked! thanks everyone! I fired up my 327 today!!! (well after a few timing errors and a couple of flaming backfires through the carb) my engine came back to life after not being started for 15 years, (I put new fuel tank + lines in to be safe)it wouldnt idle to save its life, I had to keep feathering the gas, I think its got a vacuum leak... I will mess with it next weekend, Ran out of money this week.. heheheh
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 00, 06:11 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Great work, Chris!! First Gens Forever! Now if only I could get my front suspension back together, it's been in the upper 60's the past week in Chi-Town and I'm itchin' to get the ragtop on the road!!

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 00, 10:00 AM

I'm not sure what the resistance wire from firewall to oil points unit was, but BAT terminal on HEI must have 12 volts going to it for module to operatate correctly. Your bad idle may be related to this.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 00, 05:21 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

well I posted another topic to show you my junker that is being worked on . but here it is here also. check it out at
http://www.geocities.com/macphreak4evr/index.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode