Overheating again!!!!!!! - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old May 12th, 01, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
91z28

Red face

Well my 1991 V8 Camaro is still overheating after some work with the fans. The fans work properly both are coming on when they should. The problem is that when I'm on the freeway the car overheates up to 240 degrees and if I let it it would go all the way to 260. When I'm on the streets the car cools down to 210. I don't know what to do, the fans are working like they should. So I'm thinking of putting a new radiator a bigger one than the one that I have right now(less than a year old)I got it from Auto Zone. Any suggestions. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old May 12th, 01, 12:31 PM

Are your fans turnig the right way a pusher and puller? Also maybe your radiator hoses are collapsing

[This message has been edited by white 78 (edited 05-12-2001).]
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old May 12th, 01, 03:03 PM
Senior Tech
Dale

Is it full of water?Is the radiator internally restricted? Like "78" said,check to see if the fans are blowing towards the rear of the car.They can be wired wrong,and blow towards the front.

------------------
68 z28 ,68 rs 327 ,73 454 vette, 2 goofy kids

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old May 12th, 01, 04:23 PM
Tech Team

Do you still have the air dam under the car???The plastic thing that scrubs on every bump
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old May 12th, 01, 05:00 PM
Senior Tech

If it cools down at idle its not the fans it has an airflow through the radiator or a partially pluged radiator problem.

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old May 12th, 01, 05:06 PM

was there a problem before the work on fans?,if not i would really check that out 260 degrees is way to hot never let it get that hot,if you had problem before fan work check to make sure the radiator is flowing ok,autozone is prob. not the best place to get a good reliable radiator,also i had a 70 nova that started overheating i found the impeller on waterpump was slipping at times causing it not to flow when i installed new pump it was worse than before come to find out my pepboys waterpump was defective impeller was made with fins going in wrong direction,just take it 1 step at a time and you will get it there should be no need for larger than stck radiator(it was fine when new)good luck!!!!
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old May 12th, 01, 05:10 PM
Senior Tech

Wink

have the radiator professionaly cleaned,should be around $50.its worth it and should cure your problem.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old May 12th, 01, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
91z28

Thanks for all the replies, yes I still have the air dam, under the radiator. I just clean the radiator today but still overheating. The fans do work properly they take the air to the rear of the car. I don't know what else to do, the car has given me alot of problems lately. Anymore ideas?
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old May 12th, 01, 08:35 PM
Senior Tech
Dale

With the temps.you have been running,could be an engine condition.Does it boil over?If the engine was the problem I would think you would have a problem at idle too.Long shot here...is the timing set properly,is it getting the proper advance?What about the exhaust,could it be plugged/restricted?I notice you also have an emissions problem.

------------------
68 z28 ,68 rs 327 ,73 454 vette, 2 goofy kids
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old May 13th, 01, 09:55 AM
Senior Tech

Wink

what kind of condition is the exghaust in?may converter is plugged? change the water pump?i bought one of those high flow pumps and the damn engine would run hotter the faster i ran it(new motor).so i took an old one kicking around and i'll be damn the engine ran cool ALL the time after the swap!!!! if the water is moving too fast it doesn't have time to remove the heat from the engine.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old May 13th, 01, 01:58 PM
Senior Tech

sldhd did you have a thermostat in the motor that should be enough restriction to keep it from overflowing the coolant.

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old May 13th, 01, 02:55 PM
Senior Tech

Wink

i sure did, i would never run a motor without one. the make of the pump was FLOW COOLER. the thermoustat was an acurate 180 degree one.the only thing i could think of was that it was causing some sort of cavatation in the block at higher rpms.still have the same thermoustat in the motor. i also had put in a BRAN NEW 4-core radiator,so i know it wasn't that either.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old May 13th, 01, 03:06 PM

I had the same problem when I put a four core in my camaro i have a 1992. The problem was the lower radiator hose . See at high rpm the hose was calapsing so I went to autozone and got one with a metalspring inside of the hose it wasnt for a camaro it was really close to the same shape so take your old one with you and make sure their is a metal spring inside of the hose.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old May 13th, 01, 06:22 PM
Senior Tech

Smile

never thought about that,i love these boards!!!!!!!
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old May 14th, 01, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
91z28

Guys the hoses are all right. The engine is doing a noise so it could be the water pump. About the thermo I have a 160 degress would a 180 be better?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode