new tranny or rebuild? - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 03, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

ok, Tranny shop tells me that I will be better off overhauling my tranny. I have been having trouble with leaks. They seem to pop up here and there. My question is, would it be better to overhaul the old th350 or look for a new tranny. Seems like I saw in a magazine a new tranny for about the same as the cost to rebuild. I have no tranny experience. How rough would it be for me to do the rebuild. If it isnt to much of a nightmare waht special tools would I need if any? Tranny is a 73 th350 thanks guys

------------------
Scott
73/74 mix. (Its a mutt) 73 350 bored 30 over, Th350 tranny. With the Lord willing, may we never have to drive a MiniVan!

The ole Mutt
http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/gateruner...otos.yahoo.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 03, 09:09 AM
Senior Tech

The newer rebuild kits for performance can give you a heavier duty trans than the 700 with it's after market options. Just in case a 700 got attractive.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 03, 01:31 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gateruner:
ok, Tranny shop tells me that I will be better off overhauling my tranny. I have been having trouble with leaks. They seem to pop up here and there. My question is, would it be better to overhaul the old th350 or look for a new tranny. Seems like I saw in a magazine a new tranny for about the same as the cost to rebuild. I have no tranny experience. How rough would it be for me to do the rebuild. If it isnt to much of a nightmare waht special tools would I need if any? Tranny is a 73 th350 thanks guys

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>hi, i hd replace my tranny on my iroc 350 ( corvette motor ) i have the 700 one and i was told it 'n better not to do ANY services on all tranny on camaros i wonder if this is true?? if i was you, just have someone you know that knows what their doing to rebuld ur tranny. but not to service it cu i heard it could recreate other problems if it's serviced.
good luck
rockin' vic

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 03, 03:13 PM
Senior Tech

It is a good idea to service just about any automatic at regular intervals. On the other hand, if the transmission is long overdue, it seems that servicing them brings out the worst. For example, take a transmission that has 80,000 to 100,000 miles on it without a service. Seems like those are the ones to go tits up if you try to service them. Typical transmissions should be serviced abou every 40-50 thousand miles. Heavy abuse (like those found in Camaros) or towing vehicles can afford a service every 30 thousand.

-dnult
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode