Vibration - High Speed Wobble - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 00, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy

Please help! I have a 75 Camaro (350ci) that develops a wobble at around 45MPH, then gets worse up until 60-65MPH then gets a little better as speed increases, however the wobble/vibration is still prevalent. It feels like unbalanced tires, but I had them checked and rechecked. I have replaced the trans-mount which was bad, I replaced the U-joints which were also bad. The car has new tires. The rearend was 3 pints low of dope before I topped it off. I just replaced the rotors with new bearings. Nothing is working, the wobble is still there. The transmission(TH350) has 25,000 on it. Any help would be much appreciated.

Frustrated and Out of Ideas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 00, 07:02 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Garage
Sounds like tie-rod ends to me. Or something going on in suspension. Do a test, car ramps work best because weight of vehicle is still on tires and you can look up underneath at suspension. Have someone rock the steering wheel back & forth. look for sloppy tie-rod ends, pitman arm, loose steering box and or ball joints. It could be one thing or combination of things. Don't forget to set E brake and block rear wheels.(saftey first!)
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 00, 07:20 PM
David Pozzi

Check each wheel on the car for runout, wobble. You might have a bent hub, or axle flange.
Other than that you just have to start checking out all the suspension. Start at the front and work to the rear.
Don't forget to check the rear spring bushings, and spring plates.
Also check for a bad shock.
David

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 00, 04:56 AM

Also check rear wheel hubs for in/out and side to side play. If you were down 3 pints of fluid in the rear axle I might suspect you have now got some bearing and/or c-clip wear problems.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 00, 05:06 AM
Senior Tech

Cool

Agreed as a stated above. Had the same problem on a 67 Firebird 400. I replaced the axel since it had a bunch of end play. Problem cured.

------------------
67 SS
70 Z/28
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 00, 05:41 AM

check the inside and outside track for wear. Wearing on the inside, lower suspension. Wearing on the outside, Ball Joints. Check alignment. Push up on the Tie Rods to see if theres alot of play. This may be a long shot but if you have one bad Radial tire, it will throw your whole car off. As for the axel, never had that problem so they are probably right above.
www.geocities.com/macgse/68CamaroRS.html
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 00, 05:44 AM

Oh..By the way, are you sure they put the tire weights on correctly. Remember, the 15 year olds usually are the ones that do that. lol.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 00, 10:27 AM
Senior Tech

I find that the high speed balancing is usually ful of %$#! because a bubble balance works fine everytime.. and 9times out of 10 the HS balancer is out of calibration, therefore although it may say OK here put a weight, it is out of calibration, so its wrong...

another thing people forgot to mention with the tires part is , somtimes tires have heavy spots too, and require alot of wheel weights because they are mounted "usually by coincidence" to the heavy side of the rim. they may just need to be remounted and properly balanced... my67rs runs smooooooooth, especially on nice new blacktop...

------------------
Chris's 67 RS can be seen at http://www.geocities.com/macphreak4evr/index.html

[This message has been edited by Chris Edwards (edited 04-04-2000).]
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 00, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

I checked the rear axle for side to side and in/out play and there was no play side to side. The hubs had a very slight amount (a couple hundreths of an inch) of in/out play, is this normal? I saw nothing abnormal with the suspension, however, I'm not experinced with diagnosing suspension problems. There is roughly 15,000 miles on the front end parts to include upper/lower ball joints, outer tie rod ends, control arm bushings, sway bar bushings, shocks, and coil springs. I found nothing wrong with the rear suspension with the exception of a shock bushing coming apart, could this cause the problem?

Thanks in advance for all your input
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 00, 06:07 PM
David Pozzi

Smile

The shock bushing could probably cause it. Have someone follow you and look at your wheels when it's doing it. Maybe you can pinpoint at least what end of the car is causing it.
Usually you would feel rear suspension problems in your butt.
The front end problems would be felt more in the steering wheel.
David
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 00, 06:33 PM

Talking

I HAD A VIBRATION PROBLEM WITH MY 90 RS. I AM RUNNING A WIDER TIRE ON THE REAR, BUT ON THE SAME STOCK WHEEL. I WAS OVER INFLATING THE REAR TIRES BY ABOUT 3 POUNDS, 35PSI. I NOTICED I WAS GETTING TREAD WEAR IN THE MIDDLE OF THE TIRES. I LOWERED THE PRESSURE TO 32PSI AND THE VIBRATION WENT AWAY, ALONG WITH THE TREAD WEAR. MY RATIONALE WAS THAT I NEEDED A FEW MORE POUNDS OF AIR TO COMPENSATE FOR THE LARGER TIRE. I WAS WRONG.

------------------

post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 00, 11:36 AM
Senior Tech

LAYDBAAK, Lose the caps my friend, it means you're shouting. Not trying to be rude,but it looks bad and is hard to read.

------------------
Leo Paugh
MCC #017
www.clark.net/pub/chevelle/mcc.htm
the bitterness of poor quality remains, long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 00, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

I took the car to get the front end aligned only to find the tie rod sleeves frozen to both inner/outer tie rods. I replaced both inner/outer ends and had it aligned...still have the same problem. When I had the car on the lift I noticed the boots on the lower ball joints were torn to hell, could this be the problem? I'm not sure what effect the lower ball joints have on the suspension. The tires show no sign of uneven wear.
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 00, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy

The tires are 235/60 14" @28 psi(all four). I feel the wobble/vibration in both the wheel and the seat.

Thanks everyone for all your ideas
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 00, 06:59 PM
David Pozzi

If you had the ball joints replaced, the boots should not be torn up!
David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode